Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems out of my shifter. Does anyone have a complete diagram or know exactly how they work. My switch is sending the ground to the module. The actuator that moves linkage has a power wire and two returns with power. How does it shift release of power on one wire? It works great till it gets about 90 degrees or ride a lot use it then stop cut off bike then shifter will not work again. SOunds like the module to me? Any expert' advice is welcome.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
the solenoid has three wires, a ground and two power, these either retract or throw the shaft to down or upshift, this solenoid can be bench tested with a 12v battery to see if it works... if it works cold then take a hair dryer or heat gun to it for a while then retest to see if the solenoid is heating up and then failing

you can troubleshoot the shift buttons themselves, but it sounds like you aren't having any problems there?

if the problem is the 'kill' module that unloads the engine just long enough for the upshift then I can't help as I don't run that style, I just use my clutch

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johhny. No the buttons is not the problem. Kill part works fine. In fact sometimes kill works and no shift. You say solenoid you mean the part that actually shifts the gear shift? If so I have three wires. Last I checked it had power on both wires did not check third. Which I thought was odd. Yea want to bench test just unsure how it worked. So power to it makes it work? Then very odd I had power on both wires. I have it coming from module.

·
14,572 Posts
yeah, the solenoid (chrome tube that does the actual shifting) is just an electromagnet that shouldn't be getting any signal until a shift button is pressed, at least that's the way I understand it? (as read with my multimeter) the one wire will throw the rod, the other wire will wanna retract the rod, remember to MANUALLY reset the rod to it's 'neutral' spot before the second bench test

my solenoid was acting up and it seemed the heat of use was causing it, it would work great then a short time later the solenoid itself was hangign up any further shifts...

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK just for future references for everybody. You have a positive volt supply feeding solenoid. When all is pluged in you will show positive voltage on the other two wire on solenoid. When activated the module sends a ground against the positive voltage. Seems backwards from everything i've seen but this is how it works. I took a heat gun to solenoid nothing. I took the heat gun to module. Then no output on upshift from module. So I reversed wires and now have a upshift. Unsure how long. I am still willing to buy a module if anybody has one. Thanks for help Johnny

·
14,572 Posts
I now have only the upshift working, no down shift, my solenoid is half-fried ..... I may try to have it rewound by an altenator/starter rebuild shop?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I think I have all the install info from Pingel... I'll have to scan it and see if I can post if for you, if you haven't figured it out. Or better yet give me your email and I can forward you a pdf doc from Pingel .Donald

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I got it it. The up side was messed up from the module. So I just cut wires and switched so i would have a up shift. I moved everything so now trying to adjust to get right. This was on the bike used and I have had problems from day one with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts