Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise ..... I am in the midst of removing the front wheel in order to install progressive fork springs. This is on a 2003 VRSC-A

I cannot get the 2 pinch bolts(screws) on the bottom of the right fork to budge in order to remove the axle. I have tried a 5mm hex socket, WD-40 and still no movement other than the 5mm hex starting to strip the female head of the bolt.

Any advise would be appreciated, such as what is the proper "socket" size of the bolts? Would heat work?

Dan

·
Banned
654 Posts
Chicago Dan said:
I need some advise ..... I am in the midst of removing the front wheel in order to install progressive fork springs.

I cannot get the 2 pinch bolts(screws) on the bottom of the right fork to budge in order to remove the axle. I have tried a 5mm hex socket, WD-40 and still no movement other than the 5mm hex starting to strip the female head of the bolt.

Any advise would be appreciated, such as what is the proper "socket" size of the bolts? Would heat work?

Dan
not sure what size they are but i had the same problem when i took my front wheel off to install the progressive springs.

i used an impact driver. if you havent used one they are spring loaded and you hit it with a hammer and that shocks and turns the screw. they are directional so make sure you have it set for loosening the screw or it will tighten it even more.

had to use it on one of the drain screws as well.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
They are 5mm and I had the same problem and ended stripping one out. I dremeled the head off of the one I stripped and the stud unscrewed easily. Use a minimum of a 3/8 drive ratchet but preferably a 1/2 drive. Make sure you have the allen head seated in the bolt and hold the ratchet head to assure it won't slip. Give it a few tugs. Leverage is the key. If you have started stripping the head I would just dremel it and by new bolts. Chances are you won't be able to torque it without stripping it when installing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GreysonWinfield said:
They are 5mm and I had the same problem and ended stripping one out. I dremeled the head off of the one I stripped and the stud unscrewed easily. Use a minimum of a 3/8 drive ratchet but preferably a 1/2 drive. Make sure you have the allen head seated in the bolt and hold the ratchet head to assure it won't slip. Give it a few tugs. Leverage is the key. If you have started stripping the head I would just dremel it and by new bolts. Chances are you won't be able to torque it without stripping it when installing.
I agree with your assessment. I ended up taking off the wheel and the forks as 1 piece (i.e. the wheel is still connected to the fork). Tomorrow morning I will take it to the local gas/service station (they still exist, although rarely) and have them remove the bolts for me which I will replace with new. They have the tools which I do not have.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Heat it first. Heat gun works best. You could get a way with a little propane torch in a pinch. The lcoktite on these nuts is pretty solid, so heat it up and get it done.

RJ

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Chicago Dan said:
I agree with your assessment. I ended up taking off the wheel and the forks as 1 piece (i.e. the wheel is still connected to the fork). Tomorrow morning I will take it to the local gas/service station (they still exist, although rarely) and have them remove the bolts for me which I will replace with new. They have the tools which I do not have.

Thanks for your advice.
I'm gonna guess between $30-$50 bucks for them to do this. For that $ you can invest in a dremel. These things are priceless. They are an all around in a pinch tool.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I did a light tap of the hammer to the end of the ratchet. Worked fine. Beats dragging out the impact tools and hose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dremel

GreysonWinfield said:
I'm gonna guess between $30-$50 bucks for them to do this. For that $ you can invest in a dremel. These things are priceless. They are an all around in a pinch tool.
Can you give me a web-link or a name & model # of what you recommend.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Chicago Dan said:
Can you give me a web-link or a name & model # of what you recommend.
Sears / Home Depot / Lowes all carry them in brand name. Personally I would go with Craftsman. Many of the power tools that HD & Lowes carry are a lower grade model than a wholesale supply carries. The Craftsman had a nice case & a bunch of different accesorie heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts