Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any views on this. I'm thinking of running a very fine 3mm pin stripe along the edges of the tank and fender striping on my vivd dx.

Either in red/orange like the rim tape, or silver.

Anybody done it already?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
Sounds like it would look good. Are you going to leave a space between the striping ?

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd run them along the outer lines of the denim stripes. I've looked at both colours and both look really good. Be a bit of a job to do it all though....

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I had my vivid stripes painted orange and a thin gloss black pin stripe hand painted on the edge of the orange to separate the denim from the gloss orange.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
gunnysgt said:
I had my vivid stripes painted orange and a thin gloss black pin stripe hand painted on the edge of the orange to separate the denim from the gloss orange.

Yea, and it looks so good the MoCo is now producung it. :)

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like what Gunny did, but didn't want to go so far at the moment.Basically just want to pinstripe the outer edges if the denim stripes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had my helmet painted like that and it turned out real good (flat black stirpes lined in orange) that would be cool to do the whole bike like that

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i'll give it a try in orange/red first off.

Striping was only a £1 or so, so no loss to pull it off and start again.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
I think the orange would look good if it matches the wheel stripes and HD lettering and you keep it subtle.

I'm gonna need to see silver in person, since even the 08 with silver stripe keeps the orange wheel stripes and lettering, which it seems to me won't look right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I Think It's A Good Idea And Will Look Great - But Two Things Are A Must.

1. Must Be Hand Painted Pinstripe (not Tape)
2 Must Match The Color Of The Other Pin Stripes On The Wheel

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DFinch said:
I think the orange would look good if it matches the wheel stripes and HD lettering and you keep it subtle.

I'm gonna need to see silver in person, since even the 08 with silver stripe keeps the orange wheel stripes and lettering, which it seems to me won't look right.
Strange thing is, silver seems to work with the bike. I might try it in silver first as a "first attempt"...

spanman said:
I Think It's A Good Idea And Will Look Great - But Two Things Are A Must.

1. Must Be Hand Painted Pinstripe (not Tape)
2 Must Match The Color Of The Other Pin Stripes On The Wheel

Hmm..

Point 1 - I don't want to paint them as I may not like the look of them when they are done. Tape first.

2 - It'll be pretty much spot on colour wise....

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
Try 3M Tomato Red.
Kieron said:
Anybody have any views on this. I'm thinking of running a very fine 3mm pin stripe along the edges of the tank and fender striping on my vivd dx.

Either in red/orange like the rim tape, or silver.

Anybody done it already?

·
Registered
497 Posts
lines

drodder said:
Try 3M Tomato Red.
What about a 1/2" checkered strip black and gray/white down the center. I ordered a 08 dx vivid black with pewter yesterday. I think it will look good on either bike.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm.

What initially made me think of doing something was my half face HD helmet that has two white stripes across the top of it. I find that the denim stripes get "lost" occasionally and wanted something to accentuate those stripes.

It may look like hell when it's done, and if so I'll be tearing the stripes off!

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just pin striped the air box in red. Looks good. Yeah I know, pictures, pictures etc etc.

When I've done the back end i'll post some. Then make a decision as to whether they stay or not!

·
Registered
683 Posts
like your idea Kieron.
I've got the same helmet I think : HD black leather 1/2 with white stripes.
I agree about making the denim stand out a bit more.
how thick are you going on the pinstripes? i was thinking about doing in white...

·
Registered
223 Posts
well since you brought it up...

Kieron said:
Just pin striped the air box in red. Looks good. Yeah I know, pictures, pictures etc etc.

When I've done the back end i'll post some. Then make a decision as to whether they stay or not!
:worthless

:moon:

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alabama said:
like your idea Kieron.
I've got the same helmet I think : HD black leather 1/2 with white stripes.
I agree about making the denim stand out a bit more.
how thick are you going on the pinstripes? i was thinking about doing in white...
Yeah, helmet has the two white stripes and pull down visor (although the visor seems to direct air right into your eyes!)

I like it though for nice weather days with sunglasses on.

Ok, here's interim pics of the stripes, 3 mm wide...

I haven't done the rear fender yet...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts