Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
VR Master said:
"...do you get everybody worked up when your computer doesnt work either??? ..."
With all respect, Mr. VR Master....if I paid for a new one and it didn't work right outta the box...YES INDEED! This bike was broken from the factory...and then the set-up at the dealer didn't catch it either....then the dealer sounds like he wants to play the "it'll be ready tomorrow..." or whenever game with him. I'd bet Quality Assurance at the KC Plant would want to see this bike again and determine how they missed it. From the tour we went on at the '06 Rally, I understood each bike was started and run for a period of time before it goes out the door. Any problems are tagged and the defective bike is displayed in the lunch room with the defect tags on it for all to see.

Sounds like this bike didn't go through this process...and now the dealer is making promises they can't keep.

Let's look at it another way....let's say you just bought a brand new 72" Plasma HDTV set...paid $6,999.99 for it....had it delivered....all set up by the dealer. You go to turn it on, and it comes on....change to whatever channel you want to watch and you start watching your brand new TV..."Man, this is great!!" you say. Then....BOOOM...the sound goes off...and the picture goes out of focus. Would you want a new one...one that WORKS, like you paid for? ...or would you want the dealer to send "Clem" out to your house with a soldering gun, a bag of nut drivers, and a promise it'll be fixed right?

I think I'd want a new TV...or a new computer to use your example...or a new bike...

JMHO...No disrespect meant, VR Master...

PS (really, an afterthought) My wife owns an interior decorating studio. She sells furniture, lamps, accessories, etc. She has had customers call and say such-and-such was defective. She doesn't hesitate to tell her customer that they will take care of it, not to worry. She immediately sends her crew out to pick up the defecive item, and she sends it back to the factory for replacement. She has NEVER had a furniture manufacturer refuse to accept a defective item and send a new one back. Mind you...she does this without notifiying the furniture manufacturer first, and without getting their approval. Her approach to customer service is simple..."If my customer is unhappy, then so am I." The only things she has to protect is her reputation and her name with her customers...and her vendors and suppliers know this. She's been in business for almost 20 years, and has customers all over the US....even a couple in Europe, and one in Saudi Arabia (if you can believe that). Bottom line is she is willing to take on the manufacturers for the benefit of her customers. When's the last time we heard of a HD dealer doing that for one of their customers...? I know there may be some out there...but it doesn't sound like this dealer's willing to anything like that to protect his customer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
castings?

somethings like this wont be caught due to run time at K.C and when dealing with porosity it can take as long as 1000miles to show its ugly head. Porosity issues occur on everything all the time. Its just a matter of managing it during the casting process... not sure if you were listening at the tour but this set of crankcases is very complex and to pull this off is a miracle. Its a $hit happens deal that really was nobodys fault. The key is the dealer needs to get his bike on the road asap for good customer satisfaction. sometimes things happen, does everyone need to panic no... usually when you cry wolf you get nothing and when you ask for help nicely you get more then you ever asked for!

·
Registered
239 Posts
ski rod

Ole ski rod was in St louis at the AHDRA races drinking beer....hanging out with us talking V-rod. He has become quite the world traveler lately!

Last report has him in Peoria?????

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
vr master, the bike had no miles on it when I picked it up. However it did have the spot on the cyl while it was still in the dealership before I rode it and before the sales guy showed me how to start it.

Anyway, After being told on tues that the bike was to be ready on wed. wed came and went with no bike. Thurs I got a call saying the bike was ready. When I got to the dealer I found a scratched radiator shroud, belt guard, and gouged upper coolant hose (metal part). The service manager was "unavailable" and the girl gave me a paper saying they were to order all new parts and they would call me when they came in, all the while apologizing up and down. So I hop on the bike, get down the road, and no gas! Had to put 4 gal in to top her off. (yes I saved the reciept). At this point im just happy to get on the road again so I went for a cruise and all semed normal. Skip to today after work. I rode the bike to a buddys house to check out his newly landscaped lawn. And whille im showing him the butchery the dealer did I notice my voltage regulator hanging off the bike!!!! So while I have to work tomorrow I will be visiting the dealership after I call the GM in the morning. I cant even believe I havent gotten a call from the dealer apologizing for the scratched parts. Incredible!

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,567 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
this thread makes me sad.
Me too! Dam, I would be afraid of what was loose inside the motor at this point. if it were me I would be looking for a way to return it at this point.:paper:

·
Registered
378 Posts
00ttvr6 said:
vr master, the bike had no miles on it when I picked it up. However it did have the spot on the cyl while it was still in the dealership before I rode it and before the sales guy showed me how to start it.

Anyway, After being told on tues that the bike was to be ready on wed. wed came and went with no bike. Thurs I got a call saying the bike was ready. When I got to the dealer I found a scratched radiator shroud, belt guard, and gouged upper coolant hose (metal part). The service manager was "unavailable" and the girl gave me a paper saying they were to order all new parts and they would call me when they came in, all the while apologizing up and down. So I hop on the bike, get down the road, and no gas! Had to put 4 gal in to top her off. (yes I saved the reciept). At this point im just happy to get on the road again so I went for a cruise and all semed normal. Skip to today after work. I rode the bike to a buddys house to check out his newly landscaped lawn. And whille im showing him the butchery the dealer did I notice my voltage regulator hanging off the bike!!!! So while I have to work tomorrow I will be visiting the dealership after I call the GM in the morning. I cant even believe I havent gotten a call from the dealer apologizing for the scratched parts. Incredible!
Clearly I think it is time to get it out of the hands of these "factory trained professionals", especially if they have an attitude of "shit Happens", "it is really no one's fault", no accoutability, etc. There is always a cause, and someone is always accountable, lest you never have any such thing as ISO 9001.

As has been stated here, you need to notify HD, not that they will do anything, but if there is further litigation, that question will be one of the first. Also as stated, document, who what, when.

If the GM was not available it begs the question, why not? In a past life when I was in charge of a business segment, I made it clear, that there was NO ONE more important than the customer. Not other bosses, not the shop owner, etc. Was the GM so busy that he could not see the most important person in his shop? Tells you a lot about the operation!

A competent tech could make this right, and many of them are on this board, but few of us are fortunate enough to have one in their local shop. These clowns have hacked up your new pride and joy enough, make every effort to get a new bike, but in the end, it is just a bike!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
this thread makes me sad.
This a damn shame.
If this was my situation,I believe I would take the bike back to the dealer and hand the F & I manager the key,salute him and leave.Then the finance company would be getting a letter from a lawyer.

Another thing about idiots like me is I take shit like this personally.I be looking up "Clem's" address to at least send him a thank you card.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ive been busy writing up my letter and thank you guys for all your advice/support. I am going to talk to the g/m today if hes there. Through some investigation ive found out that 2 diff techs worked on my bike. the first one left to go to school and the second tech quit/left the day my bike was finished.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I agree that things happen and people make mistakes. The problem I have with dealerships (his sounds like the one I used to use) is that they know good and well they scratched the hell out of something but try to see if you notice it before they make it right. A reputable dealer would have handled it differently. Like: "Hey man, good news, your bike's fixed and running great. The bad news is a couple a things got scratched during the reassembly. We ordered all of the new parts and we'll make it right, sorry about that, but things happen and we did a thorough inspection to make sure that the bike will be returned to brand new condition for you ASAP. Sorry we didn't make the deadline we promised, here's a certifificate for your 1K service to be done free of charge." But they don't do things this way, they are unscrupulous, I don't trust them to air up my tires, let alone actually work on the bike. I'm done with Harley Davidson dealerships unless I have a major warranty issue and then I'll start on Prozac 2 weeks before I bring it to them to make sure it's in my system and doing it's job before I have to start dealing with them.

I know at Ford dealerships the dealer surveys are serious business, I assume they are for HD too. Fill it out honestly and intellegently, if you rant or come across as a nut I doubt it will be taken very seriously. tell them what they did right and what they need to improve on.

Glad you're back on the road.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
no, not really.... if it went back to the factory and someone like you or Ray was to fix it, then fine, put a new head on, but having some hacks at the dealer monkey-fock a brand new bike would not be an acceptable option.

VrMaster I tend to agree with Joe on this. Its not like someone who knows what there doing is tearing it down and putting it back together. It would be allot diff if the moco was sending some knowledgeable tech reps out to do it, but yall aren't. What you do have is maybe one tech who has been to VR school, and thats a maybe and the last time he has seen the inside of motor was in class if he was paying attention. The fuking clean up guys at most dealerships know more about the Vrod than the mechanics. So with that being said, its no big deal replacing a head and gasket for mechs who know what there doing but that doesn't seem to be the case for this dealership.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It just goes to show you that you have that 10% in all you do bro. I'm with elrod on this one. I'd toss him the keys get 100% refund via my lawyer. Don't let this discourage you though. Go to another dealer and get your baby. I've dealt with a few dealers and have had nothing but great things to report. Hope they work this out for you.

·
Banned
20 Posts
First V-ROD, first cruiser type of bike and first time to the forum.

I did a search because I was looking for info and found this post. I too have this problem. I just purchased a 02 V-ROD from Victory. Has 10K on the clock and tons of upgrades. I have been using the bike around town for about the last two weeks. Today was my first highway run, I went to ride with the run for the wall as they came through town. When I got to a stop I noticed some orange stuff on the frame. After further inspection I see that its coming from the head. Here's a couple of pics.

No warranty on the bike but the owner is a friend of a friends so I am taking it back tomorrow. Is replacing the head the only way to fix this?

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
If it's a pinhole and not a crack AND warranty is really not an option (double check this directly with HD warranty department!) then I'd give it a try with plastic metal.
There is not much pressure on the cooleant system and provided you thoroughly prepare and clean the area around the pinhole it should be an ok fix.
To prepare you'd have to grind the area with a soft stone, use fine sand paper for the surface finish.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I don't know about sealing the hole from the outside.I think I'd remove the head for inspection and if it wasn't a big hole or a crack I'd try and heliark it.Used 1130 heads aren't expensive either.

Elrod on the V-Rod

61 - 79 of 79 Posts