Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and Happy New Year from Ireland.

Have set myself a challenge this year and decided to tune up the paintwork on my V-rod.
It`s black but want to do a bit of airbrushing.
I have a little experience with bodywork and a furniture polisher by trade so the spraying aspect is fine, but I do need some advice.

Can I airbrush directly onto the cleaned black paintwork? Or do I have to strip right to the base?
Can I laquer ontop of the existing paintwork and if so what can i do to achieve maximum adhesion?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. The reason I am taking this project on myself is that there are no custom body shops within 150 miles of me.

Thanks to all
Staggieman:chainsaw:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Bit adventuress if you haven't done it before,would get some professional advice first if I was you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've painted over factory paint several times. As long as your factory paint is in good shape you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure the paint you are using is compatable. Probably want to test it somewhere hidden just to make sure. I wet sand the factory paint with 1000grit to get the new paint to stick good. Then do your airbrushing and when you're done re-clearcoat everything.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
You airbrush right over the top of the clearcoat, this makes it very easy to wipe the new paint designs off if you make a mistake. Use some acetone to clean off the new airbrush or parts of it if you dont like what you have done. When finished with your new designs, put a couple coats of clearcoat over the entire surface of the part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts