Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a feeler. I want to see if there is much interest in this. I would make and sell these for $50 plus shipping...just the metal part, LOL. It's polished 6061 aluminum diamond plate and the brackets are 5052 aluminum. I have carried this bag for about 100 miles since I made the rack yesterday and would want to get at least another 400 in road-testing.

As you will read in this thread, there may be patent issues. If this is the case, I'd probably have to withdraw the offer.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75971

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Where is the patent issue?

Are you selling the fender or the metal luggage plate? Looks like Breathless make a similar fender to yours but not the luggage rack. I may be interested in your luggage rack. I have a Biker's Friend bag. How does your bag hook to the mini sissy bar?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear fender is a sheet metal copy of the chopped OEM fender I now have in the paint shop. It is a hack job that looks pretty good in pics and actually in person until close examination.

The back side of my Riggs bag has 2 female quick release latches. I used the 2 males and looped them onto each end of a 2-foot strap provided by Riggs, and it is strung thru the mini sissy. The Riggs also is designed to strap to a taller sissy with two 2" wide velcro straps, and one of those runs underneath the rack and thru the bracket I fastened underneath the rack.

This is a prototype (maybe the only one to be made?)...I may add some slots in the rack to create more options.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Maybe add some holes on the plate so you can zip tie a bag to the plate. Then add holes to either bungee or zip tie the plate to the mini sissy and shocks. Just an idea.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i would flip the support thingy under it 90 degrees... so its not going across the seat but with the line of the seat ..

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the support bracket w/o thinking of anything but support, but when I mounted the Riggs, I saw that it actually created an accommodation for the 2" wide strap. Since I was working with my Riggs, this design is somewhat bag-specific. Mebbe it needs a more universal design?

All ideas are appreciated...that's what R&D are about.

I have learned in the 300ZX world that R&D stands for "Rob and Duplicate"...seems hypocrisy and duplicity are rampant in the world...am I guilty? LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts