Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to do a full exhaust swap of some sort and am getting lots of mixed info about what works and what doesn't work with mid controls. Some of the manufacturers have D's listed but they dont specify if the exhaust works with mids or just forward controls. Heck Im 2 emails and 5 days into V&H waiting for a response and havent heard a word back except the 1st email that simply sent me a link to their website...doh. :chair:

Could you please...pretty please post a pic of your bike (or a link to a pic) with aftermarket exhaust and mids? If you could be so kind and also tell me what 'mods' you had to do to make it work I'd be ever so grateful! :notworth::notworth:

Leaning towards V&H Comps from a forum member but Im wondering what else ACTUALLY fits and is a viable option.

Thanks community!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a DanMoto on my "D". It fits with mids, but you have to shim out your brake pedal a bit. Not a big deal but just be aware. Oh ya, I had to make a mount for it as well, again not a big deal but........ and the black finish fell off. I ended up getting it ceramic coated, made a baffle and added an extension to the can. So, it will fit, but with a bit of work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have the danmoto pipes i just finished installing dont have pics yet but will add later...the only thing i had to do was make a bracket for the rear since only two out of three bolts lined up also needed a spacer between that bracket and muffler! Almost all the 2 into 1 pipes will work with mids biggest thing to remember is to get gaskets for the 1130 motor (part# 65109-01) not the newer ones as most after market pipes are not beveled. I tried a set of v&h short shots thinking the curves were close to my factory pipes unfortunately they swoop up in inch to far forward and dont clear brake pedal. Another option if you have a "5 peice exhaust" is to remove the mufflers from the mid pipes and add a set of bolt on turn outs for cosmetics. Ran mine without the chrome shelds with black exhaust wrap on header pipes only and rear mufflers removed. Decent unique sound everyone recognized as my bike from blocks away and the bike seemed to handle better. Only reason i swaped was because a buddy of mine sold me the danmoto for $50 like new and i was gonna spend that to redo my header wraps anyway!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Vance and Hines has a discontinued full exhaust , 17535 , it pretty much was designed to be used on mid-control models , the 'D' and 'R' . They had a big close-out sale a few months ago , the full exhaust for like $200 . I'm sure you can still find a few of these brand new on E-bay . In a way , they remind you of the Akrapovic , with an up-swept muffler can .

·
USMC Tanker
457 Posts
Thunderheader and CFR fits on the mid "R" without any modifications.
They aren't full systems, they slip on the header pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Got a BuB7 2-1 on my R model, needed an early V Rod pipe mount bracket ( has the rubber sliders ) got probably 6-8 hours drilling new holes, fitting, shimming, etc. Well worth it though, saved like 22 Lbs, bike rips and with SS Wool & fiberglass packing sounds great. You got 2 emails and 5 days waiting ? Rest easy Karl, I've got a year and a half research and 1" thick of printed material on pipes to find what I finally ended up with. V&H are LOUD and really a true racing pipe, better on a built engine but you can get a "Quiet" (not) baffle. Unless you get the 17535 Mike is talking about - bolt up fit, great sound but the canister look and sorry, NO weight savings. No easy answers on mid control pipes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts