Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V&H 2 in 1 exhaust which I just got JetHot powder coated is already scratched under it because it drags when I take curves hard. I put a longer screw and washer under it so I can try to protect the exhaust.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
That's a shame but I guess since that exhaust was originally designed for a drag race bike, curves were not considered. The slip on comp exhaust sits just under the swing arm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep its the main reason I didnt go for that set up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got mine powder coated stainless as well and it looks worse. It has marks up front on the bend as well. It could be worse. My buddy has the earlier version for his DX and it hangs way lower than ours and the springs on the outside which were subsequently scrapped off!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm trying to make myself say "Oh, that sucks, I shouldn't buy that exhaust" but all I can think of is "That would be badass with a strip of Magnesium bolted to it so it would throw sparks 20 feet behind you!!"

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
I'm trying to make myself say "Oh, that sucks, I shouldn't buy that exhaust" but all I can think of is "That would be badass with a strip of Magnesium bolted to it so it would throw sparks 20 feet behind you!!"
LMAO.

Wait a sec...that would be badass....

·
Rob
85 Posts
My V&H 2 in 1 exhaust which I just got JetHot powder coated is already scratched under it because it drags when I take curves hard. I put a longer screw and washer under it so I can try to protect the exhaust.

Hence the name drag pipes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey man, did they change the design of the pipes to alleviate this? I was looking on the Vance & Hines website, and it looks like the pipe may set a little higher in the picture on the website than yours does. Then again, it could just be the angle that the pictures were taken at. Although it would be cool to shoot sparks out behind your bike, noone wants to trash a pipe that costs as much as this one, so if they did fix the problem, good. If anyone else wants to look at it to see if they think any different, here is the link.
http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/products.html#
Or, I guess if anyone has the time to check, someone could just call V&H and ask.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Magnesium doesn't throw sparks, it burns. Put a titanium strip on it for a light show at night.

·
Work in Progress.
447 Posts
That's the only problem with my pipe as well. Heard my pipes for the first time the other day when it had it's first service. Love the sound of them, first time I have ever heard my bike on the road. Sounds so different than being on it. Think the titanium is the way to go. If you are going to scrape it, you may as well show it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Instead of using a strip just get a titanium bolt and replace the grind stop bolt you have already put in it...

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, its underneath the bike

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
Does the new ones sit higher? My poor pipes are taking beating right now, even after my Road Warrior mod of strapping a skidplate to the bottom. I moved to the mountains and just the commute to work is like walking on eggshells.

Check out the thread with my pics.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150505

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
Problem is, I gotta pay for 'em.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The new version is way better than the old however; I have the new version and I have tons of scratches. It sucks but the way i see it i shows that you ride the bike. You should see my front pegs. They look like half moons from scrapping in the turns.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
The new version is way better than the old however; I have the new version and I have tons of scratches. It sucks but the way i see it i shows that you ride the bike. You should see my front pegs. They look like half moons from scrapping in the turns.
:them:

The end point is: if you want a pipe that stays like new for ever, DON'T and I repeat DON'T get this pipe!!! I ride like a man on straight road, but otherwise, I ride like a little girl and take the turns at 5 mph and mine got scratched one week from the install. This is a drag racing exhaust and WILL scratch on the turns. PERIOD!

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
Yup. I'm all for grinding away pegs, BDUBBS, but you grind a hole in your exhaust and you're done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts