Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a very long day at work. I have purchased the factory black with gold flame '04 from Motor City HD, scheduled for pickup at 5:00 PM tonight.

I have not been riding for a couple of years and the last bike was a Yamaha v-twin but a much smaller engine (750cc Virago). I'm sure everything will come back, but are there some things that I should watch out for? I've been reading this forum and have noted the lugging at low speeds, but other than that does the V-Rod act any differently (ok, ok.... the top end is quite a bit different) than a normal bike?

I'm sure the dealership will go over everything I need to know regarding operations but any suggestions from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

HoldHard

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, the bike is really well behaved and you will be back in stride in no time at all.

Max

·
Registered
974 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot.
BobT

P.S. Be patient , I have never been able to get my bike (as new) at exactly the time they said I could ! Maybe call them at 4 and ask if everything is on schedule ! Good luck with the new bike. Be careful ........

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Congrats!! I think that saw your bike last weekend in the showroom. It's beautiful. Hope to see you on the road sometime. There are a few of us around the metro area. I ride a '03 2-tone.

Just take your time and break in the bike properly. It's hard to do, as you will want to get on it hard, but you will glad that you did. It's suppose to be warm today, so go on a long back road trip and get some mileage on it! Have a great time... :cheers:

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Hold Hard,
Congratulations on your new V-Rod. I have been riding Virago's for years (still own 4 of them today) and you will find the switch to be quite easy. You will find more power on the V-Rod and the longer wheelbase will take just a little getting use to....but not bad.....you should have it down pat in a couple hundred miles. The forward controls feel different on the V_Rod..but it's a good difference once you get feel.
You will have to put a Sundowner seat on it. Your 750 seat is more comfortable then the stock V-Rod seat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Best of luck with the new bike. Great color combo. There are two things to watch out for with a V-Rod:
1) 5000rpm: Below five grand the V-Rod is a pussycat. It's smooth. Twist that wrist and above five grand it's like a different animal. So get used to the throttle if your last bike was a 750 Yammi. Make sure that you are cleared for take off before you let 'er rip.

2) Sportbike Tires: The 38° rake & 67.5" wheelbase say cruiser :moped:, but the tires belong on a sportbike :kaz:. So the V-Rod wants to lay over freely like a sportbike while the frame geometry wants to keep going straight. Once you get used to the geometry/tire combination, it really is the best of both worlds. But until then it can feel weird. I have learned to turn-in a bit on the early side to keep my line.
/Steevo

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BobT said:
Congrats on the new scoot.
BobT

P.S. Be patient , I have never been able to get my bike (as new) at exactly the time they said I could ! Maybe call them at 4 and ask if everything is on schedule ! Good luck with the new bike. Be careful ........
BobT,

Good idea. Just got off the phone with them and the 5:00 PM pickup is a go.... They say it will be all cleaned up and ready for my orientation.

To Everyone Else,

Thanks for the answers and as Max has said, It's the people that make this place.....

HoldHard

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Awesome bike, I love that color. Don't rev the guts out of it till you hit 500 miles. I know it's tempting, but you will pay for it later. Be prepared to fuel up more often than any other bike you've owned, I'm lucky if I can go 120 miles. Lastly, be smart and destroy your Visa at once - modding your new bike is an expensive and incurable disease.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Found that bike when I was searching!! The only two I found was Motor city and Heratige Cycles in Ft Walton Beach! I bought the one in Ft. Walton Beach. Mine is number 65. What number do you have? I think we are the only two "regular" people on the road with one! Haven't found any more, either for sale or being rode! Follow the break in procedures found in the manuel! You will thank yourself later! Buy a new pair of gloves, grab a gas card and ride ride ride! When you hit the mile point, change the oil. When you hit the 1k service point, go with synthetic oil!! Pay the difference, it will quite the engine some and will help shifting, make it smoother. Enjoy! I've only had mine 6 weeks and got over 1400 miles on her! The sundowner seat will feel so much better than stock, and they even stitch "V-Rod" in the seat!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey.. welcome.. we've got some great weather this weekend for a ride.. be careful big time!!!!!!

where do you live around detroit? I'm in Fairhaven, and we've got guys in Canton and Dearborn and Grand Blanc...

If anyone else is looking for a bike with this paint job... there's one at the Harley stealer in Syracuse, NY. at least it was last week.... but the salesman insisted he wanted somewhere in the mid 19's +++ for an otherwise stock v rod.

ride with care and welcome

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
qcwiz said:
Mine is number 65. What number do you have?
Following the bar and shield logo on the airbox cover is " 7 / 200 " so it's number 7.

qcwiz said:
The sundowner seat will feel so much better than stock, and they even stitch "V-Rod" in the seat!!
That is going to be my second purchase right after the new exhaust.

This break-in period is gonna kill me. It feels like I'm going backward thru traffic on the freeway!! The cagers come flying up at 80 or so and I'm in the far right lane. They pass so close they almost take off the left rear turn signal.....

Rode over to the dealership to pick up the battery charger that they include with every V-Rod sale and the shirt, then over to Detroit HD. It seems that the "traditional" HD riders look down their nose at the V-Rod. I was taking off my helmet and this older guy and his wife were walking up to their 95 geezer glide. I say "How's is goin..." He looks at the bike and kinda scowls. Doesn't say a word.

I really don't give a flying fu..k what they think. I bought this ride for me and my wife and that's what matters. I get enough compliments from other people that I happen to stop next to in traffic. Total strangers say things like "sweet ride" and "That's from the factory? Cool!!"

Will try and upload pictures into the gallery.

Later,
HoldHard

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gthong said:
where do you live around detroit? I'm in Fairhaven, and we've got guys in Canton and Dearborn and Grand Blanc...
Northern 'burbs... Farmington Hills.... 3 1/2 miles from Motor City HD.

Bigger pictures in the gallery....

HoldHard

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
0992 said:
You will have to put a Sundowner seat on it. Your 750 seat is more comfortable then the stock V-Rod seat.
Oh yeah..... the grasshopper position for the passenger really sucks.... That will be my second purchase as the first is a set of Rinehart exhausts and PC3usb due in this weekend along with a FSRG jacket.

Went to the local HOG chapter meeting and the parking lot had 141 Harleys in it. Not too shabby for a temperature of around 50 degrees for the ride home....

Supposed to stay in that range for the weekend with rain later today.

HoldHard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts