Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm 22 and got my first Harley. Came from 2 sport bikes so I'm not a complete newbie. Took the MSF class first thing after buying my 06 which was when I was 17. The first being an 06 Honda 600rr and an 03 600rr I still have. Just got to uncomfortable on the japper to do much cruising any real distance and I've loved the vrod from day one especially since I grew up riding Harleys with my dad since I was old enough to sit up on my own

Anyways figured this would be a nice transition being able to keep the speed and some agility. Rode it to my dads from the dealership to show off some lol but anyways its an 08. All silver with tab slipons. Would like to get some shorter bars for that drag look and something to get rid of that black plastic on the rear fender with the turn signals and a louder pipe on down the road. I hae a clear alternatives integrated tail on my cbr and was wondering what y'all do about this if anything at all short of getting raped by good ole HD.

Look forward to being around for a while! Thanks!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:vrodforu:
heavycycles.com for a nice integrated taillight. (check my signature)
DIY vmod to your stock cans (remove inner baffle) will gain you some noise. (in How To Section)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! I knew hd means big bucks but I was hoping that just went for official harley parts. 324 for a taillight!!! Will have to go on my wish list as well as a side plate mount. Are there any other options?

As far as pipes go the previous owner installed tab slipons so I'm set for now :)

I also discovered I have abs (saw the light on the gauge cluster) which is great as long as it doent mean maintenance headaches. Got all my wishes though with the big 1250, 240 tire, and pipes.

Just want to low shorter bars and the integrated taillight and to lower it and ill be happy!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
What kind of EFI tuner is on the bike? If it is the Tab tuner they seem to be a hit or miss proposition. It works great for some people and other people have nothing but problems. Just a heads up. Welcome to the forum. There is no limit to the kowledge available here. Your first mod should be a service manual. ABS will save your bacon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I wouldn't. Know where to look for a tuner. I have noticed it has a slight skip at low rpm's in 1st and 2nd more noticeably. I take it its probably to do with the tuner? Hope so...

And yes I was actually glad when I realized it had abs cause I have panic braked before and sliding is no fun!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I wouldn't. Know where to look for a tuner. I have noticed it has a slight skip at low rpm's in 1st and 2nd more noticeably. I take it its probably to do with the tuner? Hope so...

And yes I was actually glad when I realized it had abs cause I have panic braked before and sliding is no fun!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
all the '08 and newer Vs have the "ABS" stamped on the speedo, but does not mean you have ABS brakes. You will need to check the front caliper and if you see a sensor wire in addition to the hydraulic line, you have ABS brakes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I just assumed it did when I saw the yellow ABS light. But ill check first thing. Do you happen to know the difference in ABS and non ABS bars? Don't want to order the wrong ones if I HAVE to have a special bar.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my assumption but after viewing vmods site they have bars for ABS and then non ABS but the bar I like is for non ABS by their description lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a set of the NEW style vmod bars for a models. More than I wanted to pay at 220 shipped but it sure beat the hell out of 320 shipped from vmods. Good ole ebay :)

Also have some arlen ness chrome scoop mirrors on the way from vmods so they didnt lose out completely on my business. This bike is going to be the end of me!!! (money wise)

Just going to cross my fingers and hope that the brake lines will be fine!! Will get pics asap. Thanks for all the quick answers!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
congrats on the new bike, they are really awesome. I also bought my first harley at 22 (my current 2005 v-rod) and have had it for five years and loved ever one of the 46k miles i've put on it. I also came from sport bikes (suzuki's).

you can get an LED taillight that isn't retarded expensive through harley. it's a nice upgrade and around $100. $300+ for a tail light is asinine IMO

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I still have the HD LED tail light (not offered with integrated signals) that I keep as a spare. Brightness wise there is NO comparing the two. HC is a good 6x brighter. HD warranties their taillight for 90 days, Heavycycles for the life of the device.
Lots of options other than HC, but many (if not most) are of questionable quality.
Best bang for the buck would be DIY LED strip.

·
kelrushNZ
122 Posts
Hi There and welcome good choice of bike i have the 07aw there is plenty of good tips and how to's on this site. As for the side mount there is a guy who goes by killervrod who makes side licence plate mount

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can tell I'm gonna love this bike for a long time, thats for sure. Will be loving it even more after it gets the right stance but until then atleast the new bars will get me in the right riding position! I'm kinda sketchy about the DIY LED strip just because if it were to mess up i'm bound to get ran over LOL.

Had a close encounter today thanks to an asshole in a tractor trailer. 3 lanes and im in the far left coming up on my exit and the tractor trailer in the middle goes over to the right lane. So I throw on the signal get over (i'm about even with the rear most tires on the trailer) and a car puts on their signal to turn a few seconds later, so this asshole throws it back over to the middle without looking and bout takes me out. Had I not saw the guys signal ahead and anticipated this retard I wouldnt have had my brakes ready to drop back. BE CAREFUL out there guys!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I still have the HD LED tail light (not offered with integrated signals) that I keep as a spare. Brightness wise there is NO comparing the two. HC is a good 6x brighter. HD warranties their taillight for 90 days, Heavycycles for the life of the device.
Lots of options other than HC, but many (if not most) are of questionable quality.
Best bang for the buck would be DIY LED strip.
i'll agree the HC is a nice produce, and brighter than the HD LED light...but, don't ignore that the HD LED is a HUGE upgrade from the stock incandescent bulb, so it makes a nice upgrade to the visibility of the brake light without dropping as much money.

some of the aftermarket lights (clear alternatives for example) are junk. The HD light is still a quality piece and should be considered, IMO.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My only reason for swapping taillights is to get an integrated unit and I dont think HD has this :( I seriously cant justify the 325 or whatever for the HC unit. Clear alteratives makes a good prodect for the 600rr since I have two (smoked and clear) I've got experience with them so I dont see why they wouldnt be any good on an HD? I'll prob end up going with an LED strip setup somehow and shave the fender. I know I'll probably catch hell but I actually love the rear end on the F/muscle and would like to swap it out but the cost goes up even more on that! lol A lowered bike ithout the rear fender is sexy though. I'll do that most likely

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you might want to do a search for "clear alternatives" on here before adding one to the V. I really don't recall anyone reporting a positive experience with their VROD tail light

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I'm 22 and got my first Harley. Came from 2 sport bikes so I'm not a complete newbie. Took the MSF class first thing after buying my 06 which was when I was 17. The first being an 06 Honda 600rr and an 03 600rr I still have. Just got to uncomfortable on the japper to do much cruising any real distance and I've loved the vrod from day one especially since I grew up riding Harleys with my dad since I was old enough to sit up on my own

Anyways figured this would be a nice transition being able to keep the speed and some agility. Rode it to my dads from the dealership to show off some lol but anyways its an 08. All silver with tab slipons. Would like to get some shorter bars for that drag look and something to get rid of that black plastic on the rear fender with the turn signals and a louder pipe on down the road. I hae a clear alternatives integrated tail on my cbr and was wondering what y'all do about this if anything at all short of getting raped by good ole HD.

Look forward to being around for a while! Thanks!
Welcome, and great choice in bike. My son had a Yellow 600rr while he was in the Corps, and then a Red one when he was discharged. I road the red one a few times......and man...the riding position on those bikes just kicked my ass. They're meant for a younger person, not an old fart like me....but they're sure fun and fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts