Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed killerglass and want to go with blue coolant. I don't like that the ice needs to be changed annually. Seeing coolants like g12 that are silicate free but are phosphate based. I know the Harley version is silicate and phosphate free. Any risk in using a phosphate based coolant/antifreeze?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Installed killerglass and want to go with blue coolant. I don't like that the ice needs to be changed annually. Seeing coolants like g12 that are silicate free but are phosphate based. I know the Harley version is silicate and phosphate free. Any risk in using a phosphate based coolant/antifreeze?
I don't think so. Phosphates are a corrosion inhibitor which is more spec for Europe due to the water. We don't need it but doubt it will hurt. Like oils, coolant is also a jungle for info. Good luck.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I ride my dirt bikes in an old phosphate mine here in FL - Crooms Cycle Park ( FL is all prior bottom of the ocean ) The phosphate there it sucks the blue/black literally out of the rubber tires, is an aggressive detergent and is no longer mined as its been pretty much banned in laundry and other detergents - so unless this is some kind of alternative non corrosive phosphate coolant I would avoid it like the plague inside an engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too late! I already. Flushed and refilled with the blue juice! I have to imagine that the concentrate of phosphate is no where near the level your playing in. This coolant is used in modern Honda vehicles and knowing how Honda operates, doubt they would specifiy something that would cause issues. Guess time will tell!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Too late! I already. Flushed and refilled with the blue juice! I have to imagine that the concentrate of phosphate is no where near the level your playing in. This coolant is used in modern Honda vehicles and knowing how Honda operates, doubt they would specifiy something that would cause issues. Guess time will tell!
You will likely have a beard down to your knees by the time you notice anything. If you really get bored, you can read this as if the world of antifreeze isn't confusing enough. Good read, none the less and explains issues with additives. What I get from this is low phosphate concentrations and use distilled water for mixing if needed it should be fine as well as staying with the 2 year fluid changes, which should apply to just about all of them. Although the Revolution is basically an aluminum engine the liners are steel. Phosphate actually will lightly plate the steel surface to prevent corrosion and don't see that as a bad thing. I feel you will be ok. I would avoid silicates completely however. I have an issue with sand in my cooling system.
Ron

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will likely have a beard down to your knees by the time you notice anything. If you really get bored, you can read this as if the world of antifreeze isn't confusing enough. Good read, none the less and explains issues with additives. What I get from this is low phosphate concentrations and use distilled water for mixing if needed it should be fine as well as staying with the 2 year fluid changes, which should apply to just about all of them. Although the Revolution is basically an aluminum engine the liners are steel. Phosphate actually will lightly plate the steel surface to prevent corrosion and don't see that as a bad thing. I feel you will be ok. I would avoid silicates completely however. I have an issue with sand in my cooling system.
Ron
Thanks! No link to your article you mention. I read similar articles and think I will be ok as wel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts