Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I sure will that would be great ! it's amazing riding up there both on & off road and I'm sure you know all the best places - now that I'm approaching retirement thanks to age & CV19 wrecking the airplane usage needed to keep me working it might be sooner than I think ! Thanks & ride safe up there !!

·
Registered
272 Posts
FBJ-
I’m in steamboat this weekend, planned on bringing the bike but this happened on the way. Fortunately it was only 1/2 mile from home! Oh well, plans change lol!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trailer turned into a 1 wheeler! Leaf spring broke, caused the axle to wrap itself around underneath. Could have been worse- the shiny side stayed up!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Spray those leaf springs with Maxima Chain Wax its really Military Grade Cosmoline it penetrates, lubes, sets up like Wax its too late for that on that spring but soak the new one and bolts with it replace both springs also - makes trailer ride smoother as well - stay safe !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can second the battery, it made a noticeable difference losing that much weight right on the forkneck.

The Metzler Cruisetek's also made a noticeable difference over whatever brand HD puts on stock.

Ultimately (given equal riders) the weight, length, tire size, and rake are going to keep you at the tail end of that pack no matter what you do... but you'll look cooler doing it.?.?.? 😁
True- thanks for your response.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think a 26 tooth front sprocket would also benefit you greatly. Will allow you to keep RPM's up a bit into the corners.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cornering Tips ? So ERed007 everything flybigjet says is great advice ( I'm still working off his R list ) but my question is why are you doing that twisty work on a F Model when you had an R ? Apply all that advice to an R and you've already got mid controls on it, scraping the pipe is not going to happen, suspension & ground clearance is stiffer & higher, put rear shocks on 4th highest or buy 16", do the fork kit or just put 5 wt BelRay in them, Metzler Cruisetecs are awesome especially rear with dual compound. R Model works great up there in the Smokies I've gone every year ( except about 3 years ) since 2001 so 16 visits mostly on my 3 Cyl 900cc Triumph which is a weapon on those roads and the last 5 or so on the R also. Use the right tool for the job - could I turn my R into a Muscle cruiser ? Probably but I wouldn't. I get it you've got the F bike and you want to optimize it but I see no reason to change all that and still have to deal with a fat rear tire, extended rake and lack of ground clearance that result in cornering issues. The R ain't no Triumph - it falls into corners like an animal pouncing on it's prey - the R is more like you said planning entry, exit, trail braking and looking ahead, I've got my back wheel all the way fwd. in the slot, no feeler footpegs and nothing ever scrapes - add in a 1/4 ( not a 3/4 ) G2 throttle tube and it's very competent in the mountains - for a power cruiser. That's the key - don't over do it - always pay attention, don't hug the yellow line on blind corners, look out for gravel, water and wet leaves around the corner and remember there's lots of dangers on those roads - many from people in Corvettes, Vipers, Cars, Trucks other M/C's and yes even delivery trucks driving way above their heads - crossing the yellow line - they have all tried to take me out. Never look at KillBoy photo guys they always get the crash shots. Leave a safety factor always - push it too far on a power cruiser too long up there and you will pay the price. There's a tree of shame for a reason. Don't try to keep up with sport bikes just bring up the rear & let'em go. My buddy put his new H-D full dresser off the mountain - 500 feet down, luckily he got off it first. Wear your gear, & stay safe !
What you are saying is extremely true- I realized it. It’s almost like comparing a mustang up against ferraris. I get what you’re saying and I agree. There is no point in risking either totaling my bike or riding it of a mountain.. I also don’t want to change it into something it is not meant to be. Don’t get me wrong, I will still make some mods to it but not planning to put a fortune in it. I’ll still hit the twisties but I think I’m done trying to keep up with the other sports models. Thinking of saving for a second bike that is more suitable for that. Thanks again for input. 👍

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
With the grace of God and 25+ years of off road riding & racing plus 15 years of street riding skills I haven't hung any parts on that tree yet Ceigenberger - but I'm not stupid enough to think it can't happen to me - there's lots of guys & gals that have hung their lives on that tree just look at the photo's at the base it's very humbling. There's no trophy for getting hit head on by a dip shit driver or rider coming the other way, or because you were riding over your head or your bikes capabilities, just a family that will never see you again. I've attended many bad accidents up on the tail of the dragon a few were almost me - with none of those close calls my riding's direct fault. I don't want to be "David Downer" but all I can tell someone like Red007 running a big long fat tire fwd control Muscle in the Smoky mountains is BE CAREFUL - every bike has it's limits, respect that, keep within those limits and don't push them continuously and you won't have any regrets. And regrets in the mountains can be very big. Final Mountain riding Tip - Don't ride the Tail of the Dragon on the weekend - that's when idiots ride and the cops are out in full force even with helicopters in the summer & fall - go during the week much safer - Wear your Gear - Over & Out.
Great advice once again- will keep it in mind. Thank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, I like the plastic G2 but it works in FL. where the temp almost never requires grip heaters like CO. One day I'll get an all aluminum with Teflon liner throttle tube it'll have much less rotational drag so I can get myself in even more trouble :oops: ! but if I move to N.C and setup my 7 car stall Mountain Compound with a 850 mile backyard Smoky Mountain off road bike playground and 8,500 mile front yard street bike paradise I'll be ready for the grip heaters. I rented a BMW GS 1200 in CO. a few years ago what a blast ! All the way to 11,300 feet ( the back way to Breckenridge ) and it had grip heaters that didn't melt the throttle tube ! ( And my first grandson is named Breck, per daughter & son-in law visiting the same place ) (y):giggle:
Wow that sounds like a bike trip of a life time! (y)(y)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts