Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day I own a Nightrod 2014. I started doing drag a year ago and would like to get more into it. I only modified the basic so far (intake, exhaust and power commander) From there after doing some reading I think I would like to go down the Turbo route. Can someone help me with the knowledge (what to read) and where/witch company sold those kit. thank you in advance guys!

· Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Welcome Mike, Trask Turbo is probably one of the best off the shelf and available kits, the sideways intercooler is not ideal but you can install an air scoop on it to help cooling airflow - unless you have extreme mechanical skills, then you could build you're own Turbo install but that's an extremely long and daunting task, just the plenum is a multi week project - search this site when you can for Turbo installs ( like the in work one above ) and best of luck ! (y):cool:

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Having dabbled just a bit with boost and my thoughts. Not a fan of the Sprintex in any form, old or the revamped unit from fredy. Turbo, like Trask, refined enough but seems clunky in nature. If I was to go boost on my bike it would be TTS.
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Why is that? Power output should be Ok, and Fredy-fabricated kit looks to be quite complete. Reliability?
I feel the installation would be easier than building a turbo set-up.
Gear noise for one. That would drive me insane after a while. Electric water pump and driven off of the cam chains. For me, driving a SC off of the cam chains is just asking for trouble down the road. They were never designed for that kind of loading in drive direction. There is also a reverse loading on engine decel from inertia from the SC. I prefer the crank driven TTS, give the basic three boost options for us. Turbo would be my second choice.
Ron

· Registered
VRSCAW 2010
103 Posts
Yep, noise is a huge must for some, pain for the others. Like a blower whistling on top of a V8 engine.Way better power adders are there, but some guys just cannot resist the good ole 8/71 sound.:cool:
Maybe the SC in a bike is more or less for show-off use. Not for regular use.

That reverse load Ron mentioned is one point not to miss, I did not think about that at first place.

· Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Just watched the TTS V Rod install video - amazing product, if not a Turbo Mike 882 should consider this TTS S/C setup totally professional kit amazing machining and 6-8 psi 165 Hp or remove inlet restrictor and 10-12 psi 200+ Hp. Plus no crazy exhaust pipe plumbing and not quite as ugly as the rt. side turbo kits. Ultimate Hp not as much as a big turbo and full frontal intercooler setup but S/C may be easier to install and live with on a stock engine. Don't like no intercooler but not sure what IAT is compared to a turbo. One consideration is mid peg bikes are not the place for the TTS, left knee will hit the S/C - seems the rider swings leg up underneath it for fwd. controls which really is the best setup but then you're drag racing a fwd. control cruiser type layout, which seems a bit odd and counterproductive. Might be better to have mid pegs and rt side turbo for drag racing, since its farther forward and will clear the rt. knee - and be easier to launch than fwd. controls. I'd like to know how the S/C kit vs Turbo kit in standard form compete against one another in the 1/8 & 1/4 mile - I'm thinking S/C may get out of the hole better, turbo may do better on the top end - (y):cool:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just watched the TTS V Rod install video - amazing product, if not a Turbo Mike 882 should consider this TTS S/C setup totally professional kit amazing machining and 6-8 psi 165 Hp or remove inlet restrictor and 10-12 psi 200+ Hp. Plus no crazy exhaust pipe plumbing and not quite as ugly as the rt. side turbo kits. Ultimate Hp not as much as a big turbo and full frontal intercooler setup but S/C may be easier to install and live with on a stock engine. Don't like no intercooler but not sure what IAT is compared to a turbo. One consideration is mid peg bikes are not the place for the TTS, left knee will hit the S/C - seems the rider swings leg up underneath it for fwd. controls which really is the best setup but then you're drag racing a fwd. control cruiser type layout, which seems a bit odd and counterproductive. Might be better to have mid pegs and rt side turbo for drag racing, since its farther forward and will clear the rt. knee - and be easier to launch than fwd. controls. I'd like to know how the S/C kit vs Turbo kit in standard form compete against one another in the 1/8 & 1/4 mile - I'm thinking S/C may get out of the hole better, turbo may do better on the top end - (y):cool:
Tank for the info I read and watch video on that TTS s/c and it look fairly easier to install than a turbo setup (as it will be my first big job by myself). I have to also agree that the look it way better than that side intercooler. Do you have to buy those kit from UK or did some company sell them in the US/Canada region?

· Registered
845 Posts
I 100% agree on the location issues with the TTS kit. Not a fan at all of it hanging off the side. I have a solution for that coming shortly.

As for power, you can go up a series with the Rotrex superchargers and easily approach 300 whp assuming your block can handle it.

The lack of an intercooler is a huge miss with ANY forced induction kit......working on that solution too.

Most of the "kits" you see for the Vrod are very basic and/or not for racing. Price and complexity (or rather simplicity) drive the market.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Tank for the info I read and watch video on that TTS s/c and it look fairly easier to install than a turbo setup (as it will be my first big job by myself). I have to also agree that the look it way better than that side intercooler. Do you have to buy those kit from UK or did some company sell them in the US/Canada region?
I've seen the odd rare used one but UK is the only way to get it otherwise.
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts