Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I get my bike back from repairs after the wreck and go out for my first long ride and it runs like crap! Sputs, sputters, brief stalling, no rpms, intermittent backfires and using gas like there's no tomorrow...30 miles on half a tank! So I get back to the house and do all the ususal. No leaks, rechecked my PCIIIr, etc. and it still runs bad. Didn't have any of these problems before it went into the shop. I really don't want to take it back into the shop if I don't have. Don't want to lose the bike for another 6 weeks! When I picked it up they told me that they replaced the IAT because they noticed it was defective. I checked it and it looked OK but who knows. Could that be the problem? I'm running Force Shorties for exhausts and, like I said, have already rechecked the MAP settings. Anyone have any advice?

Dan

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Hello Dan glad to hear you have the bike back.

Do you have a check engine light on?

Is yours an 03 that could have the fuel sending unit recall needed?

Max

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an 03. Fuel Sending Unit recall? Didn't even know there was a recall! Geez where have I been!! Thanks Max. Why would it act up all of the sudden though? You'd think that the dealership would have noticed it! I'm really beginning to get frustrated with the LV dealership. I'm waiting for the day when you get get quality service done on a VROD by a good independent shop!!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dan since it is an 03 you can check very easy to see if it is the fuel sender problem. Start the engine and then look inside the tank with a flash light. If the sender is leaking you will see a mist inside the tank from fuel leaking at the sending unit flange just below the cap.

Max

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Dan,

Also check all of your vacuum lines to make sure they are OK. A leaking or detached vacuum line will cause the samething to happen by giving the computer bad info. It happened to a buddie on the way to Milwaukee.

-Bry

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max, no mist! And I guess I have HUA this morning. I AM AWARE of the recall...just used to everyone referring to the flance.

And Bry, ...I'm heading back out to the garage now to check the lines. Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Zeeman If fuel pressure is good the only other problem I have heard of that describes what your running like is the rear coils seem to be failing. Several people have reported similar running problems but some have gotten the check engine light from the missfires detected.

Max

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK... I've got the bike up on the lift and I notice there is a hose dropping down. Haven't noticed this before. Is this a fuel overflow drainline? It runs back to the tank. It's the left side line (as the rider sits) coming out of the tank. If this isn't normal where does it go? If it is normal I'll keep searching. Vac lines look good.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dan the line on the far left is the vapor vent system so it may be open. Keep in mind this may be as simple as a fouled plug if they have had the key on and off a lot or a lot of idle time with the pcrIII.

Here is a picture of the tank connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Max,
That is the line. I've just never noticed it hanging before. Ok, when you say open what do you mean? Shouldn't it be open to vent?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dan that is correct, since only the Cal model has a vapor vent canistor all of the other states have a vent system similar to what cars used years ago and just vented excess vapors off. You might still check the code post and do a quick code check to make sure that no codes are stored.

This link is to the how-to read codes without the scamalizer (LOL)

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Zee,
Maybe the accident Fouled a Plug?Did it lay on it's side?Check and Replace both!Fuel,Air,Spark it has to be one!:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.