Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got butt handed to me by a guy on a triumph legend in the twisties!!! I swear it's the bike, 03 vsrca.

Can anyone help with suggestions on how to make this thing turn better and feel like the front end is planted. The obvious is trading in for an R model. Midmounts and profressive springs, anything else

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Hmm, which is the Legend? Presumably either the 2 litre Triple, which is a shed, or one of the Bonnie range, which are nice bop about bikes but way underpowered. I'm a Triumph fan and have several (and have had more), and I'd only expect to get my butt handed to me on the V-Rod by the five series engines, which are clearly in a different class. [Edit - or my 1200SE, which is as mad as a box of frogs]

I'd check your tyres. My V-Rod will stay with my low power Triumphs OK (the 1200SE or a 5 series is a different issue) , mid mounts are daft on a bike where the whole point is the rider sits where the monoshock and airbox should be.

The V-Rod front end is so planted it has roots. If yours isn't, there's something wrong - especially if you weren't running out of ground clearance and bunny hopping out of bends, which are the V-Rod limitations (long bike, twin shocks).

Since you ask though, Storx (Ceriani of old) do serious upside down forks. No idea if they are any good.

The other option is - practice. Sounds like you weren't even near the limits. My V-Rod grinds into every bend, and hops and brownies like a bastard out of them. If yours doesn't, you just aren't trying hard enough.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
My D is great in the twisties. I've (finally) ground pipes and left footpegs, but I feel like I really have to try to do it. I'm running stock height Progressive suspension (440's & fork springs) and have those Woodcraft clip-on handle bars, but that's it.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Oh, I've looked now, it is a Trident in a poncy frock for the US market. You ought to be able to stay with that OK. I have the same thing on stilts in the form of the Tiger.

·
Banned
837 Posts
The Triumph Lagend was the base model of the 3 cylinder Thunderbird

500 lbs and 70hp in a nimble retro chassis. I always wanted a Thunderbird when we had a Triumph dealer in Louisiana...

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Since you have a 34 degree lean angle not much. You own a power cruiser not a nimble naked bike.

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
I dont know about you, but I got my username from lifting the pegs in the corners and draggin my boots along the pavement. Maybe you are not yet comfortable with the bike. It is a power cruiser, but it is in no way a sportbike. Two totally different riding styles. I can tear it up in the corners, but limitations keep me from hangin with the big boys. Take it out alone with no pressure, ride at your own pace and get used to what it can do. Mine is lowered an inch and a half or two inches and I still use all of the tire except for the last quarter inch or so. It's an amazing machine. Have fun with it!!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Ernie82 said:
Got butt handed to me by a guy on a triumph legend in the twisties!!! I swear it's the bike, 03 vsrca.
I run with a good friend who rides a Triumph Thunderbird. We're well matched in the twisties, though I can distance myself on him if I push it. His bike has good handling and a better lean angle - I have a more powerful bike and make up the difference when I need to by hanging off the bike a bit.

If you are not dragging hardware in the turns, then its definitely not the bike. Don't take that as a challenge to push yourself outside your comfort zone, but learning to countersteer and lean will go a long way to getting more speed through the twisties.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Night Ryder said:
The Triumph Lagend was the base model of the 3 cylinder Thunderbird

500 lbs and 70hp in a nimble retro chassis. I always wanted a Thunderbird when we had a Triumph dealer in Louisiana...
I'm still using the same engine and same frame, but different suspension and bodywork, as my day to day bike - shot below taken yesterday (note the gaffa tape holding the seat together). I think I can hustle the V-Rod around as fast...

Of course a Speed Triple would leave both of them gasping, but a Legend shouldn't be so hard...

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Louis - yours proved to be the best advice - I was running with only 20 lbs of air instead of 36 lbs in the front tire :notworth:

-as to drag the pegs - on an A model V-Rod with forward controls - somehow the heel of my foot just gets in the way :banghead:

Don't misunderstand, I think the V-Rod is a great bike, a lot better than the other Harley's. I'll never buy a non V-Rod based Harley or Buell (don't know about the rotax based Buells yet)

But after a GSXR 1100 and two CBR's (Fireblades - 919 and 954), my V-Rod really feels like the 84 Honda Shadow VT700, I had back in the day. I really was just looking for ways to spice it up bit in the twisties.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the V does the twisties well considering the riding position. My advice, if it's user error and forgive if it's not, get your butt off the seat and use it to shift the weight of the bike. I call it the "one-cheek-off" method. Just put one check off in the direction you want and "pull" the bike through. I smoke rice babies all the time because they can't get their often superior racing bikes through turns fast enough.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Ernie82 said:
Louis - yours proved to be the best advice - I was running with only 20 lbs of air instead of 36 lbs in the front tire :notworth:

-as to drag the pegs - on an A model V-Rod with forward controls - somehow the heel of my foot just gets in the way :banghead:

Don't misunderstand, I think the V-Rod is a great bike, a lot better than the other Harley's. I'll never buy a non V-Rod based Harley or Buell (don't know about the rotax based Buells yet)

But after a GSXR 1100 and two CBR's (Fireblades - 919 and 954), my V-Rod really feels like the 84 Honda Shadow VT700, I had back in the day. I really was just looking for ways to spice it up bit in the twisties.
Ah good. It is very difficult to gauge what people's expectations should be, because you don't know if they've gone from an airhead (or Jap clone of same) to go quicker or, like me and probably you, from a sports bike 'cos they wanted to go a little slower.

I'd be interested to know what happens when you go up against that 900 Triumph next. I have both bikes, and can only ride one at a time, so I don't know. The V-Rod gives a great sensation of speed because you are sitting on the ground and can see your feet kissing the tarmac, but how real it is I'm not sure.

I have DX pegs on order to give me some "kerb feelers" - I think that's the US term (hero blobs over here). In the meantime I just lift my foot a fraction.

Here's a Buell pre production test, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/09/01/nosplit/mfbike01.xml

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is what helped my bike;
Progressive 440 rear shocks
Progressive front springs - stock oil
18" 130 front tire
18" 200 rear tire
When doing the twisties load the rear springs (screw down)
Wayne

·
Registered
323 Posts
I dont know if i missed it, but you might also try the 28T front pulley. I think that would help alot in the twistys.

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
Ernie82 said:

Can anyone help with suggestions on how to make this thing turn better and feel like the front end is planted. The obvious is trading in for an R model. Midmounts and profressive springs, anything else
I own an 03 also and improved my cornering ability by putting a 17 inch
buell wheel on the front,Race tech springs and fluid,Lyndal gold pads,Fork Brace,(superbrace)
shortened rear shocks.D and D fat kat pipe.Moving your foot to the top of the pegs,The problem then is the radiator dragging.The steering is considerably quicker and lighter.
I can hang with most sport bikes in the twisties.With a 1430c.c. I own the straight-aways.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
re:

Ernie82 said:

vrod in the twisties? How do you get a vrod to turn in the twisties? Mine wont. I'm not surprised you got beat on a twisty road, but it would have been another story on a straight highway.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Jackflash said:
vrod in the twisties? How do you get a vrod to turn in the twisties? Mine wont. I'm not surprised you got beat on a twisty road, but it would have been another story on a straight highway.
Counter steer and weight displacement.

·
Registered
246 Posts
countersteer?

DTHDOC said:
Counter steer and weight displacement.
You can do all that and drag your parts too, but the bike will only lean so far. It ain't a sportbike.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Jackflash said:
You can do all that and drag your parts too, but the bike will only lean so far. It ain't a sportbike.
That is correct Sir!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts