Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 VRSCAE, and it seems the front peg mounts flare backwards to reduce the required reach for the front pegs. Seems like a great idea for your average rider, but not for 6'+ guys.

Have any of you taller riders found straight peg mounts (like older V-Rods used to come with) that extend the reach to the pegs a bit?

Thanks...Q

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Try here:

https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/2012-bikes

The fabricator is a member here and is amenable to custom work/colors, etc.

He might have what you're looking for. Or, can make suggestions. His website email hasn't been working, so it's better to get hold of him here for questions.

His handle is killerVrod here on the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a set of 4” extended controls from him and installed them last week! I’m 6’2” on a 2006 vrsca...made a huge difference in my ride and was worth the money. Great quality and great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info - thx for this...Q

Try here:

https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/2012-bikes

The fabricator is a member here and is amenable to custom work/colors, etc.

He might have what you're looking for. Or, can make suggestions. His website email hasn't been working, so it's better to get hold of him here for questions.

His handle is killerVrod here on the forum.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Just saw this qman and responded to your message with my email address as well. If you have the muscle shrouds you need either the muscle controls or something custom.

-Keith

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know if you are the original owner or not, but if there was an earlier owner, he might have installed offset peg mounts...if so, you might be able to loosen them and move them forward. I'm looking into a solution to the same problem only reversed and found something that might work. Look up Kury Akyn lockable offset foot peg mounts[they come in 2 and 4 inch lengths and will allow you to move the pegs in a 360 degree circle up, down, forward and backward.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The older bikes had a straight out peg. This was because the older bikes (pre-2012) had a mount that was held in by a crappy 6mm bolt at the frame. The 2012+ bikes have reduced reach pegs because there is now a nice 10mm bolt that holds the whole assembly on from the outside. So you can't have the peg there because the bolt is there.

-Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone found a less expensive alternative for these extended foot controls. I'm 6'5" on a '13 NRS and my knees are above the tank. I feel like $500 for some peg extensions and an extended brake pedal is a bit excessive.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Kmaster60, I know the prices of my stuff is not cheap and I wish I could make them cheaper but the only way to do that is basically outsource to China or some other country. And to do that I would have to order in the 100s if not 1000s of sets and lose all control of production and quality control. There just isn't the demand and honestly I don't have that kind of cash laying around. With the new metal tariffs I am trying my hardest not to raise my prices while my metal cost just went up 20%. In 2016 I sold almost 200 sets of controls (and a bunch of other parts). If I had sold my controls for $50 less a set, I would have pretty much broke even. After I did my taxes and realized this I honestly contemplated whether or not I should keep making parts. I put a ton of hours into this every week. To see how much I actually profited was depressing. Admittedly I write of a lot of stuff and that helps as well but to see that paypal and my powder coater made almost as much per set as I did was disheartening.

You can flip your pegs over to the other side by grinding the nub on the clevis and flopping the footpegs around. This will give you an inch and a half or so. You can adjust your shift side pretty well, but the brake will be harder to use because you can't move it so it will be an inch and a half back, relative, from where it is now. I do make a Vegas arm kit that is just the arms to put the toepeg out to where it should be for $300.

The issue with being very tall with these solutions is that the toepeg will still be a bit harder to use than it should be. This is because your knee will still be bent a lot so your foot angle will be flatter so the toepegs will always seem a little high in the stock relative position until you get them far enough out until you leg is straighter. You don't want your leg to be completely straight and even with the 4" Slayer controls I make they won't be. I can make custom offset pegs for people who really want to control where their toepegs are as well. That is the nice part of having all manufacturing in house.

If I can help you in any way (even if it is not involving my parts) let me know by either PM or you can email me directly at [email protected]. I won't try to sell you anything but will try to help you as best I can. I have owned vrods since 2003 so I have a bit of experience.

-Keith

Reactions: JDaddy$

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Having worked with Keith on a headlamp and mount recently, let me just say this about that regarding his products:

You honestly get what you pay for. If you go cheap, you get a half-arsed, flimsy solution; if you go with his solution, you get something with a) outstanding quality, b) a LOT of effort put into it to make it fit right and c) an elegant fix to the problem that looks damn good and works at least as well as the stock parts.

I'm just saying.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know the prices of my stuff is not cheap and I wish I could make them cheaper but the only way to do that is basically outsource to China or some other country.
I apologize Keith, I wasn't trying to undercut your value by any means. I completely understand what it would take to fully manufacture a set like that. I was more so alluding to the fact that I'm a cheap bastard haha.

So with your 4" set, can the be dropped down as well as moves forward ie slanted downward to be angled down and away?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
kmaster60 I know man, I was more trying to explain why my parts (and any parts like mine) you aren't going to find cheaper. You can try some other options but for a full set they are going to be expensive.

I can put the footpegs and toepegs where ever you want but I hesitate to go out more than the 4" set. Then it goes beyond the shroud. I can put the footpegs down, but it will definitely affect your lean angle. The bike doesn't lean that well to begin with, so keep that in mind. I don't recommend it, and REALLY don't recommend it if you are lowered in any way.

-Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts