Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to piece-mail my Chrome master cyl's together on random bargains I come across so I don't have to come out of pocket north of $600.

Here's my dilemma:

I called my local HD dealer and found that the p/n for the clutch master on my '09 AW is 42101-09. Now I've located a crazy good deal on a 42101-06. The root number (42101) is the same, yet the year number is different (06 as opposed to 09).

What the hell is the difference?
Has anyone tried using the 06 in place of the 09?
Could anyone shed some light on this little mystery for me?

I don't want to lose out on this deal if it'll work perfectly for me and on the same token, I'll be pissed if I get it and end up with a relatively expensive chrome paperweight.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
The brakes changed to Brembo in 07. That meant a change to the fluid from dot5 to dot4.

Hence the changed part (the clutch changed too). Now you could TRY running a dot 5 clutch fluid side, but the obvious danger is that the fluid will attack the seals at the clutch end. See if they changed too?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see that's what I'm really confused about... ...this master is the larger master just like what's already on the bike. Aesthetically, they look identical (at least in pictures), but I wonder if there's some un-seen difference.

Did they make this larger master for the clutch (42101-06) before they switched over the Brembo?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same deal on the brake side... I see a bunch of the brake side labeled "Brembo", and list applications but don't include VRSC. Specifically P/N: 44551-08A. Is that a proper replacement number for ours as well?

Is it possible that these are properly sized and for the DOT5 but just ever-so-slightly different that they don't fit the VRSC?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
42101-06 is the chrome master cylinder that came on the 2006 VRSCSE2 bikes and would work. There may have been a supplier change or something else small. No biggie.

2006 is when the change to Brembos and DOT 4 took place so that is no worry to you.

I do have a new set of chrome levers that would fit these masters if you are interested......

·
Registered
600 Posts
42101-06 is the chrome master cylinder that came on the 2006 VRSCSE2 bikes and would work. There may have been a supplier change or something else small. No biggie.

2006 is when the change to Brembos and DOT 4 took place so that is no worry to you.

I do have a new set of chrome levers that would fit these masters if you are interested......
Of all the opinions above I would trust this one the most. No offense meant to anyone.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Same deal on the brake side... I see a bunch of the brake side labeled "Brembo", and list applications but don't include VRSC. Specifically P/N: 44551-08A. Is that a proper replacement number for ours as well?

Is it possible that these are properly sized and for the DOT5 but just ever-so-slightly different that they don't fit the VRSC?
Ah, already over to Brembo on yours? No idea then.

They'd probably work, but your guess is as good as mine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts