Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya, I’m in the midst of a few lingering maintenance items which includes a coolant change out. I’ve read the post which identifies the H-D coolant as Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the Gold colored bottle.

I went out and bought a gallon of said Peak coolant as the H-D coolant I had on hand was only about 39oz and not enough for the entire 81oz capacity (2.4L) of the cooling system.

The H-D coolant I poured in was neon orange and opaque. After I measured out the remaining 39 oz I had, I cracked open the Peak bottle and poured it into my measuring device. The Peak coolant is visually different appearing as a translucent green, maybe yellow, not the neon orange of the H-D.

This leads me to believe there is a different formulation and before I go mixing the two creating an adverse reaction id like some verification or validation.

Am I good to mix the two?

Did Harley specify a color for whatever reason?

I’ve verified the coolant is in-fact Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the Gold colored bottle per the original post but again the coolant color vastly different.

Thanks,

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just went through this 6 months ago. Black bottle Packaging and slight name change. You can also use Dexcool.
0507201921.jpg

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hi ya, I’m in the midst of a few lingering maintenance items which includes a coolant change out. I’ve read the post which identifies the H-D coolant as Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the Gold colored bottle.

I went out and bought a gallon of said Peak coolant as the H-D coolant I had on hand was only about 39oz and not enough for the entire 81oz capacity (2.4L) of the cooling system.

The H-D coolant I poured in was neon orange and opaque. After I measured out the remaining 39 oz I had, I cracked open the Peak bottle and poured it into my measuring device. The Peak coolant is visually different appearing as a translucent green, maybe yellow, not the neon orange of the H-D.

This leads me to believe there is a different formulation and before I go mixing the two creating an adverse reaction id like some verification or validation.

I’ve verified the coolant is in-fact Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the Gold colored bottle per the original post but again the coolant color vastly different.

Thanks,
I did at one time look up the formulation and it's exactly the same. Dye can be spec'd to whatever you want but it's just a color additive, nothing more.
Ron

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know of a few auto shops that use coolant purchased in bulk that comes clear- they add the dye to match whatever comes out. Less than ideal of course- but the dye is just that. Coloration only.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pulled the MSDS for both.
they are similar with the exception that Harley lists a corrosion inhibitor at <3% while the Peak Global Lifetime calls out denatonium benzoate at 30-50 PPM. other than that slight difference the ethylene, diethylene, and water contents are the same.
i'm bored working from home so may as well call Old World Industries and run down the corrosion inhibitor vs denatonium benzoate difference

·
Registered
294 Posts

Thanks,
I've used Peak Global lifetime for 5 years. It's Pink. Have not bought any in a year but "translucent green, maybe yellow" doesn't sound right, I wouldn't mix them.

Just my 2cts - I usePeak w/water wetter mixed in in warm months, full strength peak in late fall and winter storage.
Flush every 2 years with distilled water. Got a Powervision 5 so I have "engine temp" which is actually water temp as one of the Digital Displays. Thats cool.... lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe I can save you some trouble. I also use peak with no issues. But don’t even mess with the radiator drain plug. The capacity is like 2.4 quarts. The engine plug drains about 2 quarts. I do it once a year, it’s so easy. Yes, a flush would be nice, but is all you are doing when changing coolant is restoring the corrosion inhibitors.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
just take hose off? & don't touch drain plug?
Hoses are at the top. Not sure you will drain much. Key to that plastic drain plug is the right tool that won't break it. I've since added a Tee handle to it. Since it's an O-ring sealing the plug only needs to be snug, no more.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok, i had used pliers...reused o ring (forgot to get new 1) not willing now to take it out unless i see leak on floor.:)👍

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Y'all are way to late but thanks. Got the answer needed early on from the MSDS, rbabos, and Old World Industries. Radiator was drained at the plug and the from cylinder with no problem using my fingers to turn the drain plug. Drain plug was fully removed, inspected, and determined to be a-ok then thrown rite back in. the fluid was replaced with a mixture of the remaining Orange HD stuff i had on hand and the new Peak I'd pick up. Also replaced the old worm gear hose clamps prone to leak a littke with constant tension hose clamps.

Ron that's a bad ass tool where'd you get that and you got any more?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Y'all are way to late but thanks. Got the answer needed early on from the MSDS, rbabos, and Old World Industries. Radiator was drained at the plug and the from cylinder with no problem using my fingers to turn the drain plug. Drain plug was fully removed, inspected, and determined to be a-ok then thrown rite back in. the fluid was replaced with a mixture of the remaining Orange HD stuff i had on hand and the new Peak I'd pick up. Also replaced the old worm gear hose clamps prone to leak a littke with constant tension hose clamps.

Ron that's a bad ass tool where'd you get that and you got any more?
Home made out of some 3/4" aluminum bar I had laying around.
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
just take hose off? & don't touch drain plug?
No, get an FSM! On the lower part of your front cylinder there is an Allen head. Make sure you locate the right one. I can send a pic if you need. That is the engine drain plug. You have to drain the engine and the radiator. However, the radiator only holds a small amount, so you can just easily drain the engine once a year and you’ll be fine. The radiator drain plug is difficult to get off and if you snap it...good luck. And they do snap!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hoses are at the top. Not sure you will drain much. Key to that plastic drain plug is the right tool that won't break it. I've since added a Tee handle to it. Since it's an O-ring sealing the plug only needs to be snug, no more.

Ron
Rbabos to the rescue! Great idea. I’m going or make one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts