Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a PCV with a autotune for my 2011 DX. I would like to hear from people who have the PCV with autotune. I read lots of posts. Some love it and some don't think it works. I want to know what actual users think and any adjustments they made when they put it on. Did you use the stock map? Did you take it to the dyno and then use that map with autotune? Did you use a map downloaded from somewhere?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am looking at getting a PCV with a autotune for my 2011 DX. I would like to hear from people who have the PCV with autotune. I read lots of posts. Some love it and some don't think it works. I want to know what actual users think and any adjustments they made when they put it on. Did you use the stock map? Did you take it to the dyno and then use that map with autotune? Did you use a map downloaded from somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Keep reading........I love mine and I have a bunch of them on a bunch of different things. You may find that most dyno places do not setup an AFR map basically rendering the AT worthless.

I just got my computer back up and running so I am working with a member here on some AFR stuff. I try to keep things I find both good and bad posted in the PC section.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep reading........I love mine and I have a bunch of them on a bunch of different things. You may find that most dyno places do not setup an AFR map basically rendering the AT worthless.

I just got my computer back up and running so I am working with a member here on some AFR stuff. I try to keep things I find both good and bad posted in the PC section.
I will keep reading. I have another 4 months to just research everything I need/want to know! Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
PCV is a "piggyback" that modifies signals coming FROM sensors (including the wideband O2's) and modifies signals going TO coils/injectors.

Be wary though. On the DX, the place I was told to install the "pigtail delphi ECM connector" was under the plastic bucket forward of the passenger seat (under the rear part of the rider seat). You gotta just "wedge it in there". Problem with mine is, a passenger jumped on, put excessive pressure on this connector and blew my rear coil.

Dyno Jet called it "coincidence" - I only consider ACTS OF GOD to be "coincidence"

OTOH, these and other (supposed) auto tune systems appear to work reasonably well on "mildly mod'd" (air cleaner & pipes) bikes - but once you get into head work, cams and/or throttle body mods - you're probably looking at Dyno Time for the most correct, safest, economical and power producing tune.

In my short time (July '10) owning a V Rod, I've done a ton of research, been through two of these (supposed) "plug-n-play" (pray) solutions - and ended up ripping them all out and dyno tuning with Harley's SE Pro Race Tuner (which really is nothing more than an interface module to the factory ECM).

You'll probably find more tuners that tune SERT/SEPRT, than any other ECM replacement module, piggyback tuner - as well as pretty much every harley service department tuning with it and factory basemaps for many mods utilizing OEM parts.

I ain't shilling for the Motor Company - just couldn't get anything to work as advertised...

YMMV...

Rick

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
OTOH, these and other (supposed) auto tune systems appear to work reasonably well on "mildly mod'd" (air cleaner & pipes) bikes - but once you get into head work, cams and/or throttle body mods - you're probably looking at Dyno Time for the most correct, safest, economical and power producing tune.

In my short time (July '10) owning a V Rod, I've done a ton of research, been through two of these (supposed) "plug-n-play" (pray) solutions - and ended up ripping them all out and dyno tuning with Harley's SE Pro Race Tuner (which really is nothing more than an interface module to the factory ECM).

You'll probably find more tuners that tune SERT/SEPRT, than any other ECM replacement module, piggyback tuner - as well as pretty much every harley service department tuning with it and factory basemaps for many mods utilizing OEM parts.

I ain't shilling for the Motor Company - just couldn't get anything to work as advertised...

YMMV...

Rick
So Rick is the SERT a separate componenet that you purchase and keep or is it something that the dealer has on hand?

How much does the SERT cost compared to the ~$700 for the PCV w/autotune?

I am planning on getting the bub7 exhaust as well and am wondering if I should spend the money on the PCV or just get it dynoed with the SERT and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fly- I am glad we are both in the same boat, I just get to follow your threads and get the answers I need! But I guess you are doing the same...

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Fly- I am glad we are both in the same boat, I just get to follow your threads and get the answers I need! But I guess you are doing the same...

:D Pretty much! :D

I still haven't got a straight answer on the above question though. I also haven't got an answer for the question of breaking in the bike first or change the exhaust and air filter, get it mapped, and then break it in.

I will have the exhaust as soon as I get my bike and want to start rocking it early, but haven't heard what the best option is yet.

Keep asking those questions though and so will I, we are bound to find the right answers at some point.

So are you going to be in the states at some point?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know a guy out here and he worked in the parts department of a Harley shop for a few years. He is saying to stay away from the PC and to get a Harley brand SERT. You should get the sert back after they use it because it can no longer be used on any bike but yours. They are like penguins, they mate for life... I believe the SERT costs in the general neighborhood of $500 and then you also have to get the bike dynoed. Then whenever you change something, you just get the bike dynoed again. Or so I am being told.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
I know a guy out here and he worked in the parts department of a Harley shop for a few years. He is saying to stay away from the PC and to get a Harley brand SERT. You should get the sert back after they use it because it can no longer be used on any bike but yours. They are like penguins, they mate for life... I believe the SERT costs in the general neighborhood of $500 and then you also have to get the bike dynoed. Then whenever you change something, you just get the bike dynoed again. Or so I am being told.
you got that right. Dynojet mentioned n their site that their piggybank products will solve 90% of the AFR issue, but not 100%. if you invest a lot on engine works like Rick, you should go with SERT/SEPRT. if you just upgrade air filter and change exhaust, most likely autotune will take care of it.

I have PCIII on my 08D with CFR + air filter. I never get it dyno'ed, just use shared map from this forum. I know i dont get 100% from my system. With dyno, i could squeeze maybe 3-5 HP, probable a bit more if i use SEPRT, but it doesn't matter. Now it runs optimal, no hesitation, occasional decel pop, fair gas mileage. good enough for me. for my application, I just can't justify another $500 upgrade + dyno time.

YMMV :)

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
you got that right. Dynojet mentioned n their site that their piggybank products will solve 90% of the AFR issue, but not 100%. if you invest a lot on engine works like Rick, you should go with SERT/SEPRT. if you just upgrade air filter and change exhaust, most likely autotune will take care of it.

I have PCIII on my 08D with CFR + air filter. I never get it dyno'ed, just use shared map from this forum. I know i dont get 100% from my system. With dyno, i could squeeze maybe 3-5 HP, probable a bit more if i use SEPRT, but it doesn't matter. Now it runs optimal, no hesitation, occasional decel pop, fair gas mileage. good enough for me. for my application, I just can't justify another $500 upgrade + dyno time.

YMMV :)

Andy, sorry but you confused the situation a bit more for me.

Let me see if I get this straight:

PCV w/autotune runs about $700. If I just plan on doing exhaust and air filter (which for now is all I plan on doing) then I would not need to get it dynoed as I could just use a map from the forum and should be good to go.

The SERT runs about $500 and is good for applications that have changed something about the motor (also exhaust and air filter), but if you buy the SERT you would need to get your bike dynoed after you change anything.

So if those statements above are correct then it sounds like, since I just want to do the exhaust and air filter, I could save some money by getting the SERT a quick dyno and call it a day?

Some last minute questions:

1. how much does a dyno cost? (typically)
2. If I plan to ride places where the temp changes and possible big altitude difference then autotune is better because you can adjust it as those factors change?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy, sorry but you confused the situation a bit more for me.

Let me see if I get this straight:

PCV w/autotune runs about $700. If I just plan on doing exhaust and air filter (which for now is all I plan on doing) then I would not need to get it dynoed as I could just use a map from the forum and should be good to go.

The SERT runs about $500 and is good for applications that have changed something about the motor (also exhaust and air filter), but if you buy the SERT you would need to get your bike dynoed after you change anything.

So if those statements above are correct then it sounds like, since I just want to do the exhaust and air filter, I could save some money by getting the SERT a quick dyno and call it a day?

Some last minute questions:

1. how much does a dyno cost? (typically)
2. If I plan to ride places where the temp changes and possible big altitude difference then autotune is better because you can adjust it as those factors change?

Thanks for the help!
That seems about right.
1. Dnyo's vary of course, but I got my atv done for $150.
2. after using the SERT the ECM can adjust about + or - 20% for those reasons you described in number 2.

But like I said before I am just getting all this information as well so if any experts want to chime in then please do!!

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Hi have PCV with Auto Tune and have been reasonably happy. Although I have had my trials and tribulations getting the AFR maps tuned for decel and low throttle, low RPM acceleration, I have been reasonably satisfied with the results. I can post more later. I have also received great help here on the forum!

Anyways, here is an interesting article. Not VROD specific, but useful:

http://www.starvmax.com/blog/dynojet-power-commander-auto-tune-tuned.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an '09 Night Rod with Toxic V-Lux pipes with the PCV and auto-tune kit. I was the first person to get V-Lux pipes with the o2 sensor ports and nobody had maps for them. I ended up using a map from similar length pipes, setting my trim rate high, and bringing it to the local reputable shop to be tuned by ear.

It has run great and I just got the map for the pipes the other day so I'll try installing the correct one and seeing what happens. Worse case scenario I have to reload the jerry rigged map back in.

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
SERT plus Dyno would be close to 1K. PC is about 300. You could probably get the PC and the bike tuned for the price of the SERT. No Auto tune of course. I have PCV with no Auto tune and aside from running slightly rich, bike runs great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts