Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have the PCV and I was wondering. How much of an increase in numbers is too much, and when it the change just to low?

For example. If the value is 20, and I change it to 25 is that way to much of a change? Or is it even enough to make a difference in the fuel?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
OK, so I have the PCV and I was wondering. How much of an increase in numbers is too much, and when it the change just to low?

For example. If the value is 20, and I change it to 25 is that way to much of a change? Or is it even enough to make a difference in the fuel?
it isn`t an exact correlation but if say you are running an a/f of 14.0 and want 13.5 add 5 to your number in that block.. if the number in that rpm throttle position block was 20 make it 25.. this isn`t exact but it is close..

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I was given to understand that the number in the map cell was a percentage of the value sent out by the ECM. In other words, say the pulse from the ECM was half a second, and the map cell for that rpm and throttle position had a 50 in it, that would increase the pulse by 50% making it 3/4 of a second. I have no idea if that's correct, but it does make sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the reason I ask is because at say about 3500 to 4000 rpms I get an odd pulse. More or less its a slight hesitation with a small pop in the exhaust. The best thing I can come up with is that it's running lean in that rpm range. It only does it when I hold it at a steady rpm not when I accelerate past the range. So given that I figure it's probably at about 10-15% throttle. So basically I was figuring to up the numbers in that small block and save it and give the bike a test run and see how things go. Just was wondering where a good starting point was for the changes. I wasn't sure if a 5% change would do much at all or if it would be a huge change. If that makes any sense at all?

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Well the reason I ask is because at say about 3500 to 4000 rpms I get an odd pulse. More or less its a slight hesitation with a small pop in the exhaust. The best thing I can come up with is that it's running lean in that rpm range. It only does it when I hold it at a steady rpm not when I accelerate past the range. So given that I figure it's probably at about 10-15% throttle. So basically I was figuring to up the numbers in that small block and save it and give the bike a test run and see how things go. Just was wondering where a good starting point was for the changes. I wasn't sure if a 5% change would do much at all or if it would be a huge change. If that makes any sense at all?
As long as you're increasing the numbers, there isn't much chance of hurting anything. Adding 5 or 10 to those cells should be safe enough. At worst it will be running very rich, which is how every PC-III map I ever tried ran.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
as i posted the number in the tuning block corresponds fairly closely to the a/f change you are looking for.. i have tuned 100`s of pwr cmdr equiped bikes.. jap and hd... if it is running lean enough to run bad adding 5 or 10 to the number won`t hurt any thing.. if you are tuning it yourself put some tape on the throttle and mark your throttle positions so you can tell on the road what throttle positions needs worked on.. save your initial map to the computer,if the changes you make don`t work like planned just reload the original map..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as i posted the number in the tuning block corresponds fairly closely to the a/f change you are looking for.. i have tuned 100`s of pwr cmdr equiped bikes.. jap and hd... if it is running lean enough to run bad adding 5 or 10 to the number won`t hurt any thing.. if you are tuning it yourself put some tape on the throttle and mark your throttle positions so you can tell on the road what throttle positions needs worked on.. save your initial map to the computer,if the changes you make don`t work like planned just reload the original map..
Aye I did save the initial map and such on the computer. I didn't think to tape the throttle to mark the throttle positions I was mostly trying to do it off of feel which worked well enough I guess but definitely could have been better.

I did get the pulsing feeling out of the engine. So at the very least that's done. It still needs work but as I'm new to the PCV and anything of the sort I feel like it's pretty good. Gonna be a work in progress I know but it's getting itself there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts