Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me if the race tuner is better than the pclllr? Has anyone gain h.p.? Other than the race track, on a street bike does it matter?
Does your bike dyno better? (Not for kaz to answer)
thanks
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodtom there can be several advantages with the race tuner, the number one advantage has got to be one less electrical unit extra running on the bike to fail since the race tuner actually programs your pcm. Second would be the ability to flash for the 28 tooth. Third would be the fact that it doesn't fool the pcm it actually alters the way it works. I think the few extra hp you squeak out of either are probably going to be hard to feel in the seat of the pants. However what the programmer gives you the ability to change to correct issues would have to be the greatest advantage.

I'm not doing anything until I here more about the new closed loop system. But thats just me.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Both are fine tools in the hands...

...of qualified tuners.

Ultimately you will want to make your fine adjustments on a dyno. So the process should start by picking a tuner. Talk to people who have used dyno tuners and ask them about their experience. Ask them about the person tuning. Pick someone who has a reputation of involving the customer in the process. Some tuners may not understand that most of us do not need tunes that involve only Wide Open Throttle runs. Yes, tuning is about optimizing HP; but more importantly it is about optimizing torque in the RPM range that you spend most of your time riding in; its about optimizing engine life -- curing lean spots in the curve and treating knock with effective timing adjustments. A good tuner will ask you what your expectation is and will involve you in the decisions.

If the tuner you choose is a Power Commander shop -- go with that product. If they prefer RT's then buy the RT. My local dealer has never had a dyno but has always been mod friendly. For the last few years, they have stocked the PCIII products. But now they are building a Dyno Room and sending one of their guys out for RT training. In the past, they sold the PCIII, If the customer wanted a dyno, then they were sent to the local chopper shop down the road (also a PC dealer).

Max hit the highlights on the advantages and disadvantages. By virtue of hanging out here (V-RodForums), you have available to you, many excellent down-loadable tunes, designed to match many combinations of pipes. So starting off with one of the products without immediate dyno tuning can be done comfortably. Many members here say they can feel the lean spots; the dips in the torque curve; etc; after making the pipe mods and trying various map files. I have an RT, the owners manual explains how to tweak the variables by feel and by data collection (I'm sure the PC products offer the same help). But nothing beats the data that can be seen on a dyno nor the tweaks done by a guy who does it on a regular basis.

In the Boston area, one shop with an excellent reputation in the Power Commander realm is Rahn's Motorcycle Engineering (click the Dynojet Service link). I include the link here because they have been promising to do a How-To video showing how they tune with PCIII's. It should be an excellent reference link when its finished. It is one of those winter slow-period projects that has not been put up on the website yet (perhaps after the Boston Motorcycle Show in January). Read the EFI Forums, there are many excellent discussions on this subject...

The Short Answer

Pick a reputable tuner in your local area and go with their recommendation, because in the end (at some later time) you will probably want to fine tune your V-Rod on a dyno.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tom...
The PCIIIr is made here in NLV and they have a tuning center on site. Just a factor to consider.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts