Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 02 VRSCA back in August and finally got around to searching for the Power Commander that the seller told me he installed. It was tucked under the battery and when I located it discovered it was a PCIIIr.

My question is, does a PC override the trouble codes that are thrown by the stock ECM? I don't see any trouble codes when I run diagnostics, this seems insane to me that this thing doesn't even have a historic code saved. The battery on this bike is dying, and sometimes doesn't start until I trickle charge it, I don't even see a low battery code thrown.

This just concerns me since the ECM isn't throwing any codes at all and that issues could be hidden due to an override. Of course, maybe I'm just paranoid and the bike is fine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I bought a used 02 VRSCA back in August and ...
...located ... a PCIIIr.

My question is, does a PC override the trouble codes that are thrown by the stock ECM? I don't see any trouble codes when I run diagnostics, this seems insane to me that this thing doesn't even have a historic code saved. The battery on this bike is dying, and sometimes doesn't start until I trickle charge it, I don't even see a low battery code thrown...
First, no, a piggyback fuel management device like the PCIIIr won't block or override trouble codes produced by the ECM.

Second, a low voltage trouble code (e.g. P0562) is only thrown when the voltage measured at pin 13 of the ECM (fed by the W/BK = white with black stripe "switched power" wire) drops below 11 volts for > 5 seconds when the engine is running at ≥ 2000 RPM. A low voltage present while starting will not throw a code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.