Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot of varied opinions on which is more useful, versatile, and/or easy to work with. Harley likes the sert but at $4-500 why wouldn't they? They also claim more versatility with the sert. Outsiders like the PCIII and say the sert has no accommodation's for timing changes which can be essential in most mods. Any experience out there? Have always run and had good luck with PCIII but would like to satisfy curiosity on this one.

·
RICK
648 Posts
I tune with both. If you are going to do extensive mods in the future, the race tuner has many more capabilities. The power commander works fine for most applications. Another benefit of the race tuner is that there isn't an extra box to mount anywhere. It goes directly through you ecm. I have also had powercomanders go bad. I would choose the race tuner, but they both will get the job done.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
traktime said:
Lot of varied opinions on which is more useful, versatile, and/or easy to work with. Harley likes the sert but at $4-500 why wouldn't they? They also claim more versatility with the sert. Outsiders like the PCIII and say the sert has no accommodation's for timing changes which can be essential in most mods. Any experience out there? Have always run and had good luck with PCIII but would like to satisfy curiosity on this one.
That is incorrect! Both are good in their own way but IMHO the SERT is better because it is not a piggyback system!

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
No, it does not. The SERT plugs in through the diagnostic connector and re-programs the factory ecm. That is why most prefer it, because there is nothing physically to install on the bike.

·
06 RED TURBO SE2
110 Posts
I have been told by the dealers that the sert voids all HD warranty, Is this true? I still have one year remaining and dont know if should throw it away if the sert maps can be traced. But I would like to use one to complete mods to the bike. Any info?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am curious about the warranty issue as well. The parts manager at my local HD dealership told me that the use of a third-party fuel management system (i.e. PCIII) will void the HD warranty but that use of the HD system (i.e SERT) will not void the warranty. Is there an actual answer to this question or is it a question of what you can get away with? Custom tune and then return to stock tune if a warranty issue arises?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
kenagain said:
I am curious about the warranty issue as well. The parts manager at my local HD dealership told me that the use of a third-party fuel management system (i.e. PCIII) will void the HD warranty but that use of the HD system (i.e SERT) will not void the warranty. Is there an actual answer to this question or is it a question of what you can get away with? Custom tune and then return to stock tune if a warranty issue arises?
I think you answered you own question...

·
RICK
648 Posts
Neither Products Void Warranty Unless Hd Can Prove That The Map Or Pc Caused The Failure. Harley Shops Threaten People With Warranty To Keep Work In House. Don't Be Taken. The Warranty Protects Us As Consumers More Than What You Know.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
kenagain said:
An honest dealer will tell you that the use of any fuel management device will void your warranty should you have a catastrophic motor failure. The SERT says for off road use only right on the box. Rememer that Harley has the initial warranty on the bike and any extended warranty is from an outside source and they will try to find any excuse to not pay for a failure and by adding aftermarket parts will be a legitimate reason. I have had from personal experience of a motor failure (Rod Bearing) on my previous sporster with 14000 miles on it that was not covered from harley or the extended warranty because I had screamin eagle heads installed on the bike at the 10000 mile maintenance by the dealer. And both Harley and the outside extended warranty people told me it would not be covered because the screamin eagle heads are for off road use only and voided my warranty.

·
RICK
648 Posts
That Is True Beacuase That Is An Engine Modification. Heads Change Compression Ratio, Which Will Void All Engine Related Warranty. They Have To Prove That An Engine Failure Was Caused By An Aftermarket Or Substitute Fuel Management System. The Problem Is That Most People Just Accept The Word Of The Dealer Or Company. Get An Attorney Involved And You Would Be Surprised How Much Can Be Done Under Factory Warranty. Unless Your Bolt On Modification Caused The Failure, It Is Still Under Warranty. Heads Are Not Considered A Bolt On Modification, That Is An Engine Alteration.

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
RNTRACING said:
That Is True Beacuase That Is An Engine Modification. Heads Change Compression Ratio, Which Will Void All Engine Related Warranty. They Have To Prove That An Engine Failure Was Caused By An Aftermarket Or Substitute Fuel Management System. The Problem Is That Most People Just Accept The Word Of The Dealer Or Company. Get An Attorney Involved And You Would Be Surprised How Much Can Be Done Under Factory Warranty. Unless Your Bolt On Modification Caused The Failure, It Is Still Under Warranty. Heads Are Not Considered A Bolt On Modification, That Is An Engine Alteration.
So if I but a SERT and change the rev limit or timing it would still be covered if it scattered?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I say if a manager at a dealer would be willing to put it in writing during the install and have it witnessed and notarized I would be comfortable about my warranty.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
kenagain said:
It says race use only right on the box and tells of the warranty implications right on the box of the SERT also.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Spaz said:
I say if a manager at a dealer would be willing to put it in writing during the install and have it witnessed and notarized I would be comfortable about my warranty.
What is up with all the PCIII / SERT controversy threads? How simple can you get? Pipes, topless, K&N and no further mods = PCIII USB. Maps are readily available and they work fine for 95% of the bikes out there. If you plan on going further but it's a standard setup (Trask turbo for example) just get the SERT and use the maps that are made for your mods. If you're going out of the box or getting crazy, get the VRFID which in the long run will be cheaper for repeated changes as no dyno will be needed. Is this really that hard to figure out?????????

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
sgtrage said:

What is up with all the PCIII / SERT controversy threads? How simple can you get? Pipes, topless, K&N and no further mods = PCIII USB. Maps are readily available and they work fine for 95% of the bikes out there. If you plan on going further but it's a standard setup (Trask turbo for example) just get the SERT and use the maps that are made for your mods. If you're going out of the box or getting crazy, get the VRFID which in the long run will be cheaper for repeated changes as no dyno will be needed. Is this really that hard to figure out?????????
The statement was that a pc3 would void warranty but a sert would not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, Spaz. And everyone else. Still haven't decided which way I'm going. Looking at the FAIC pipes (plus filter and semi-topless). I had read that the FAIC pipes were tricky to tune for, which was part of the reason I had looked at the more complicated (and capable) tuners (i.e. SERT and VRFI). Just got off the phone with Jeff at FAIC and he says the PCIII will work just fine. He didn't really have any experience with the VRFI. Sounds like the PCIII would be the simple solution. Then again, if the FAIC pipes require ongoing dyno tinkering ... maybe the VRFI. I'm gonna call around to some dyno shops and see what they have to say. Yeah. I'll waste a bunch of time researching everything ... and in the end I'll probably just buy the coolest toy I can find ... the VRFI. Don't know why I even bother to kid myself about these things.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the VRFI, haven't had or been around one but from what I hear they are the best but expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts