Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed V-mod pipes (I did the work), plus a K&N Filter and a PCIII mapped for me by V-Mod. I am running TOP-ON and have a slight hesitation in the low range. I downloaded and installed the mjw map but the notes in it says for Screaming Eagle filter. This map supposedly is a version created for VALs bike which features a K&N filter.

Which is it or does it make any difference or are the notes just incorrect?

I have not checked out middle and high end range yet.

The files, as stored on 1130cc.com, have a file type of .map. I assume I just change it to .djw or whatever PCIII expects and they will work. Is this correct or did I just screw up things?

Also this hesitation I am experiencing. Does this mean it's running lean or rich? RPMs about 3000 is where it is most noticeable. Smooths out after that. Most of the posts here deal with middle to high ranges so I am at a loss as to where to proceed. I have installed the mentioned mjw map and will try it tomorrow. It's raining right now and will be wet roads for some time.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
John, In the EARLY days, the SE airfilters were made by K&N. They were one in the same. There was a switch to an oil-less filter (paper) in mid 2003. Doesn't make that big of a difference that I could tell from the SE filter to the K&N filter. Either filter flows plenty for this motor.

The early PCIII's were serial driven, and then the USB ported PCIII's came out. You should be able to convert the file using the PCIII software on the computer that you have it loaded to. Some folks have used the "change the file type method" and reported it to work, but I always just change them in the software.

A stumble at 3000rpm can mean jsut about anything. Rich, Lean the guess is yours. Without a Dyno, or an 02 sensor, you're just guessing.

Make sure your PCIII is reading 0% throttle at idle. That seems to cause all kinds of problems for folks.

Best of luck,

RJ

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rjrivero said:
John, In the EARLY days, the SE airfilters were made by K&N. They were one in the same. There was a switch to an oil-less filter (paper) in mid 2003. Doesn't make that big of a difference that I could tell from the SE filter to the K&N filter. Either filter flows plenty for this motor.

The early PCIII's were serial driven, and then the USB ported PCIII's came out. You should be able to convert the file using the PCIII software on the computer that you have it loaded to. Some folks have used the "change the file type method" and reported it to work, but I always just change them in the software.

A stumble at 3000rpm can mean jsut about anything. Rich, Lean the guess is yours. Without a Dyno, or an 02 sensor, you're just guessing.

Make sure your PCIII is reading 0% throttle at idle. That seems to cause all kinds of problems for folks.

Best of luck,

RJ
Thanks RJ. I think I will take the time to convert the .map files instead of just renaming them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the map files converted and throttle adjusted to 0. It was set at 1. Went for a 75 mile run today. Things are real smooth throughout the RPM range to 9000 rpms.

Hesitation at 3000 rpms was fixed.

A little popping on deceleration occassionally.

Thanks RJ.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to Carl's speed shop in Ormond Beach,Fl today to get a tune done. They had problems getting a tachometer patch point but did give me a run with some numbers. The attached picture is the results. I had to enhance the lines slightly as their printer was printing very dim lines.

Let me know what you think.

This run is 2007 VRSCX 1250CC with K&N filter, Top-ON, PCIII usb, Home grown V-Mod'ed pipes and vmod-kn-top-mjw.map file converted to the new .djm format. It looks real good to me.

Put 150 miles on the bike today. Real smooth other than occassional popping on deceleration.

Attachments

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
John,

I didn't realize you were trying this map on your X. This isn't the right setup for that bike. It looks like you're dropping lean in the higher RPM's. It may be worth having this beast custom tuned to be safe. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rjrivero said:
John,

I didn't realize you were trying this map on your X. This isn't the right setup for that bike. It looks like you're dropping lean in the higher RPM's. It may be worth having this beast custom tuned to be safe. :2cents:
Interesting. Someone else said I was running rich at top end.
I just started another thread on this dyno output. I do not know what is good or what is bad in deviation from the perfect tune. It shows a deviation at 60-70 and above 100. I do not know if these deviations will hurt or not.

I was going to have it tuned but Carl's Speed shop could not find a good pickup point for the Tachometer tap. Their documentation said to tap off a brown wire on the PCIII but it did not have a brown wire. Other spots that they normally could find a tap produced erratic RPM output so we aborted with just this printed output.

They felt there was something causing RF interference. But god knows what. I do have a garage door opener on the machine and it is relatively close to the speedo and tach so maybe it is screwing up things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts