Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PCIII takes outflowing data from the ECM and modifies it so the info fed for timing and fuel is what you programmed in the PCIII itself. Right?

It will deal with whatever map the ECM has. Right?

So! Will the 020 map or whatever PCIII map you download assume stock ECM settings if you say you can use it on any motorcycle of the same configuration?

How about when you do the flashes? Then the outflowing data from the ECM will be different. So could a PCIII map result in different performance from expected. How about with a bike previously with a RT? Assume the dog ate the dongle thing.

Is it that the PCIII makes whatever map do what it's programmed to do independent of the ECM data? :eek:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Powercommander has different maps for a stock ECM or one that has been reflashed. For example my setup with the 16 guage has 2 different possible maps, 1 with the stock ECM, and 1 with SE reflashed ECM. They do make a distinction, difference whether the ECM has been reflashed/reprogrammed.

"I'm a sperm donor"

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is my understanding of how it works:

Just like you said the PCIII takes the data coming from the ECM and modifies it. If the input data is different from what is expected the output will be different as well. That's why there're maps for stock ECM map and different flashes. It doesn't matter how the current map got into the ECM (via RT or Digital Technician, i.e. "flash"), if it's not what the PCIII expects for a given map it will affect the output. In short it's not independent of the data in the ECM.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

It makes sense.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But.

What I'm trying to get at.

Is the stock map known? Are the flash maps also known?

Can I download one of these to my computer and open it in Excel as I do the RT maps?

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No answer :sad: ?

OK. Can I examine a map for the PCIII, compare with RT map the bike had then extrapolate from that to my V-Rod's custom RT map?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Talk to vrodvinny, he's been working on that exact extrapolation. The PCIII settings are percentages of the recieved signal. If you could come up with the proper calibration factor you should be able to tweak the VE tables to get the same results.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But you'd have to know the ECM tables for the bike with the PCIIIr. Do we know these?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
NO, we don't. What Vinny is trying to do is replicate a PCIII map he has for ST's. If the PCIII map uses one of the SE maps as a baseline (as some do) then you can take the pipe specific PCIII map and extrapolate the increase in fuel and timing from the SE map that comes in the RT.

If the PCIII map is calibrated to the stock ECM then you can't extrapolate the numbers because you're right, you don't have a baseline.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Eddie,
I have been trying to take a PC map and converting it over to the RT.I was gonna use mt PC ST map.but after using the PC with the TT's it was way to rich.I used vrodrick74's PC map to do the converting.
I fisrt went with 50% of the PC fuel table.I compared it the PC slip-on map,and made changes to the RT slip-on map.So if you richened it up in 10% with the PC,I went with 5% and multiplyied the VE table at the same point.EX: if the VE table was at 100ms.I would up it to 105ms.The same if you leaned out an area 10%,then the VE would be 95ms.
I have found that 75% of the PC map is a better starting point than 50%.At 50% it is way to lean in,my knock retard went crazy with 50%.
I don't have EXCEL,I've had to do all the converting with my brain.It took a good couple hrs to convert.What a pain in the ARSE.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Know spanish, english, and RT. Learning PCIII language now.

Thanks Mark.

Vinny. At one point I went F'it, took the GY map and just did some freestyle, just put a lot and ride, noted better results by not being too strict, as you're doing, 50% don't work? Try 75% :thumb: . This takes hours at times. Of fun in my case. But it worked. Went to some dyno and the guy made it a bit better but that was the LS map I had on that time. I'll try yours posted here somewhere. Trick is the VE's. Do you notice a difference in performance? I do but it's so subjective it raises too many questions. Tuners open after I start work and close bafore I'm done most of the time. No 3 hours on the middle of the week either. I need a vacation for me and the V-Rod, maybe we'll go somewhere nice and quite when I get my files and computer back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts