Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys, I'm ignorant on these terms! My Vrod came with a stage one download( Not sure what this is)? Can someone give a simple explaination of these tuner terms used on this site to educate some us guys who are use to points, rotors, condensers and timing lights???Maybe Max could make this a Sticky post? How about it? Pleading ignorant! Fred

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Fred that is a good question for several I'm sure. I'll see if I can make this fairly simple to understand.

PCRIII is a piece of hardware that actually is put on the bike that goes between the pcm and the bike. It intercepts the data such as fuel map and sensor data and alters the data to whatever the tuner has loaded onto the PCRIII. The PCRIII is loaded with a laptop or any other computer that will interface with it and you can find a variety of maps (loadable programs) from places like v-mod.com and even power commander and you will find a few on this site that people have uploaded.

The stage flash as you put it is nothing more then a software flash from the MOCO that is actually loaded to your pcm and alters data or tables if you would on the pcm with no outside hardware involved. Now you can do this yourself with what people refer to as a Race Tuner. The Race Tuner interfaces with the pcm on the bike and allows you to either select any of a variety of preprogrammed flashes to load or it has an interface that allows you to read and alter current data.

Now I'm sure that my response will open a host of questions so feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer what ever you have.

Max

Flash=program
PCRIII= hardware module that is programmable
PCM=Powertrain control module Also programmable with a Race Tuner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts