Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 2007 VRSCR that is stock, with 10,000 miles.

I installed a V&H 2 into 1 pipe, the older style, not the comp/drag pipe and a Powercommander III USB. I purchased the PC III used online. I searched for a tune online and found a custom tune that works well. Very little popping on decel, revs nice. The weather here is shite so very little butt dyno testing. The bike sounds magnificent and if there is an extra +10HP I wouldn't know. I did the pipe for sound, power wise I have aways been happy. I have a standard airbox/filter. No other performance mods besides the pipe and PC III USB.

Under WOT acceleration in first gear the bike gets to 8000rpm. Hard to tell exactly because the tack is the size of a quarter. The bike dies. At first I thought it was the rev-limiter kicking in. When playing hard I use the rev-limiter to know when to shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. At 6'2" the tach isn't very helpful.

I have repeated this scenario half a dozen times:
  • Pin the throttle in 1st gear
  • At approximately 8000rpm the bike stalls dead like I hit the kill switch
  • The mileage display reads "upside-down "F" 1 P
  • The check engine light goes on but goes out as soon as I cycle the ignition switch
  • The bike will not re-start until I cycle the ignition switch
I have performed the exact same experiment in 2nd and 3rd gear and road into the rev-limiter and held it, without the bike stalling.
I rolled the throttle on, aggressively, but not a direct pin in 1st gear and road into the rev-limiter and held it without the bike stalling.

I did do a throttle position reset on the PC III when I installed it.
The map appears to be good, no flat spot at 5000rpm like the the factory setup, minimal decel popping.

I have NOT pulled the PC III yet
I have NOT run with a zero'd out map yet
I have NOT tried a second map yet

Like I said earlier, the weather has been total garbage to go and bang off the rev-limiter so my trouble shooting has been minimal.

Any suggestions?
I plan on disconnecting the PC III, I never had problems with the bike cutting out or dying in the past.
The bike has 10,000 miles and is completely stock.

What good is a VRSCR that you can't pin the throttle on in first gear?
I do suspect the PC III has an issue.

Thank You in advance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like possibly the wrong tssm or tssm orientation if relocated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ill look into the TSSM server and tilt sensor.

I did relocate the TSSM sensor when I installed the PC III... Its now mounted front to back.... It was mounted side to side....

The error code displayed in the mileage section is

Hopefully today I'll try a zeroed out map.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ill look into the TSSM server and tilt sensor.

I did relocate the TSSM sensor when I installed the PC III... Its now mounted front to back.... It was mounted side to side....

The error code displayed in the mileage section is
View attachment 603924
Hopefully today I'll try a zeroed out map.
Yes that means tip. You need to be looking at the TSSM. You cannot change the orientation of the sensor. Some of them can only mount in line with the bike and some only across the bike. If yours was mounted in line and you have now put it across this is your problem.

Just had a look at parts manual and it shows yours as being mounted across the bike. It MUST retain this position.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep... that spells TIP.... BAH... I relocated my TSSM module and need to put it back.
As an experiment I stood the bike upright and started it up, holding the TSSM module. I moved the module left, right and BINGO - TIP error and a stall...

mounting the PC III USB module on a VRSCR is a BITCH!

Thank You for the conformation

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yep... that spells TIP.... BAH... I relocated my TSSM module and need to put it back.
As an experiment I stood the bike upright and started it up, holding the TSSM module. I moved the module left, right and BINGO - TIP error and a stall...

mounting the PC III USB module on a VRSCR is a BITCH!

Thank You for the conformation
We all learn by our mistakes! Trick is not to repeat! ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Relocated the TSSM/TSM module to the factory location. Fought like a bugger to get the PC III USB connected up. I have a Corbin seat that has ZERO clearance above the gas take.

Took the bike out for a quick honk and everything looks good. No TIP error on WOT. In fact I was able to power wheelie the bike in first gear, about 3" off the ground. Something I could never do with the factory setup.

Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Relocated the TSSM/TSM module to the factory location. Fought like a bugger to get the PC III USB connected up. I have a Corbin seat that has ZERO clearance above the gas take.

Took the bike out for a quick honk and everything looks good. No TIP error on WOT. In fact I was able to power wheelie the bike in first gear, about 3" off the ground. Something I could never do with the factory setup.

Thanks for the assistance.
Glad you got it sorted :) (y)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The display actually wasn’t an error code. It was literally saying “tip”. As in- tipped over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. (y)

I'm curious if you can point me in the direction where you got the map from? I actually installed the V&H 2-1 on my 2007 VRSCR last season and just picked up a PCIII recently. I have it on a zero map until I get the bike dyno'd. But I just found out my dyno guy retired over the winter!! Good for him, bad for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts