Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen references in this forum to using the AW mounts to move the passenger pegs. My Mrs is on the short side so relocating the pegs is pretty much a must.

What I'm wondering is whether there is a reason to go with the AW mounts instead of the DX mounts.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
The DX mounts have an exhaust hanger on the right side. The AW's don't.

I think (and this is only a guess) that the AW's are a little longer too.

I've got the AW's on my F and I like them a lot-- both for function and aesthetics. Mrs. FBJ likes them MUCH better than the stock position of the F pegs as well. I fabricated spacers to replace the stock rear F pegs from a spare set of F passenger mounts (i.e. ground them down until I liked the shape and then powder coated them).

The only issue (and it's minor0 is that if I put bags on (a very rare event), I have to swap the AW mounts out for the stock rear peg setup. Not a biggie, and only takes a few minutes since I keep my stock mounts with a spare set of pegs mounted in one of the bags-- two bolts per side and you're done.

R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DX mounts have an exhaust hanger on the right side. The AW's don't.

I think (and this is only a guess) that the AW's are a little longer too.

I've got the AW's on my F and I like them a lot-- both for function and aesthetics. Mrs. FBJ likes them MUCH better than the stock position of the F pegs as well. I fabricated spacers to replace the stock rear F pegs from a spare set of F passenger mounts (i.e. ground them down until I liked the shape and then powder coated them).

The only issue (and it's minor0 is that if I put bags on (a very rare event), I have to swap the AW mounts out for the stock rear peg setup. Not a biggie, and only takes a few minutes since I keep my stock mounts with a spare set of pegs mounted in one of the bags-- two bolts per side and you're done.

R.

Thanks for the clarification. Not having seen a DX in person for a while i couldn't remember any differences but the parts manual seems to use the same drawing for both.

BTW I read your mod thread. It was quite the saga, and informative too. It's been a must read for a new F owner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I figured I might as well share lessons learned and buffoonery.

Sadly, a lot of the parts that made the mods fun are getting pretty tough to find.

R.
I've noticed that the pickings are getting slim.

Other than suspension there isn't much that i have left on my want list though. The few odds and ends are mostly things i'm willing to build myself. At least for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.