Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a 2003 V-Rod this weekend and like the feel of the bike. The problem is the dealer said it is not a comfortable bike for a passenger. Can someone elaborate about this? This is important to me for a bike purchase.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Passenger comfort on the stock bike IMHO is awful. There are many options, and I tried most, I swap between a "solo" bike and 2 up set up all the time. Click my passenger set up link below and that is one option. But I have heard the Tall sissy bar is hard to come by now.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
My wife and I ride all the time and she has never complained about the ride at all. I do have the 100th ann. seat with rear passenger backrest and I know thats got to help. The rear springs are adjustable for a better ride. The only time she complained about the ride was before I got the tool to adjust them I had them on the lowest setting. Your not going to get much over 100 miles on a tank of fuel so there will be plenty of gas/smoke breaks along the route. Anyway, no cpmplaints from my passengers. Good luck finding the right bike for you!

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
All you need to do is get a passenger pillion and a back rest for two-up. They are easily swapped out for solo riding.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
firemedic said:
Congrats on the new bike. Passenger comfort on the stock bike IMHO is awful. There are many options, and I tried most, I swap between a "solo" bike and 2 up set up all the time. Click my passenger set up link below and that is one option. But I have heard the Tall sissy bar is hard to come by now.
:them: I modeled my passenger set up after his. Tall Sissybar, Sundowner seat, and the Vrod Floorboards. My wife never complains and she is tall at 5' 10". I think it's relative though, if she's been riding on an UltraGlide all her life then it will be different for her. If you want to stick to passenger pegs, Kuryaken makes a peg relocation kit that moves the pegs forward a bit to give her a bit more room. If you really want to stretch out, you can relocate the pegs to the swing arm. Cyclevisions makes that kit, but it's a bit pricey.

·
Registered
512 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
All you need to do is get a passenger pillion and a back rest for two-up. They are easily swapped out for solo riding.
:them:
Just fitted he exact same setup on mine....

I dont really like the look of the pillion seat so i change it back when riding solo.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I have the Tallboy seat which has a nice big passenger pillion, but still after a couple of hours my wife has had enough. The Vrod is good at many things, but passenger comfort is not one of them.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
I copied Firemedic's setup and my wife finds it tolerable.
You need to understand that she has back/siatic nerve issues and I need to stop every 30 miles or 30 minutes for her to stretch, which ever comes first.
It wouldn't matter what bike I had it would be the same. I just needed to make the seating tolerable.
The setup for most would be perfectly acceptable to do some miles.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
bhawks said:
Thanks for all the info. I think my answer is clear. The V-Rod in not for me.
whoa whoa whoa don't get all jumpy on us! all you need is a sissy bar and a nice pillion and its fine. I had the touring pillion and the backrest and i ride 2up all the time with no complaints. the v-rod is for everybody!

·
Registered
512 Posts
bhawks said:
Thanks for all the info. I think my answer is clear. The V-Rod in not for me.

On the other hand if your wife wants to be comfortable leave her at home on the lounge while you ride lol:hidesbeh:

·
celebratin MidLife
274 Posts
check out the sundowner seat.. it is nice and flat for the passenger and a good back rest will make the passenger feel secure enough that they aren't slippin off...

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Ask the passanger? I have 2 pax one thinks it is good for short trips the other think it is great and we go for hours.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
i have set mine up as comfy as i can, wife still don't like it for long trips 100+ miles, the sundowner helps as did the foot boards

·
Registered
340 Posts
I concur with what gaprider0 says, exactly.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts