Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WTF?
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery on a 08 DX within the next few weeks and one of the first things I want to do is replace the bars with some reduced reach B bars. I have done a seach and am more confused than before I started. I found the bars in the HD parts book but need to know what cables I need to replace and the HD part #'s or where to find them. I would like to order the parts before the bike gets here. Thanks

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
If I understand your question correctly, I think I can help. If you are thinking of replacing your DX drag bars with the bars from a B model - which doubles the rise and pullback of the DX bars, then the part number for the bars is 55988-04 which is the same as the current D model. See the attached address.

http://gadgetjq.com/bar_measurements.htm

I'm doing the same thing. I received the bars last week but am waiting on the brake hose. Since the bars are for a current D model, part number 44736-06 for the front brake hydraulics is required. As far as the throttle cables and clutch hydraulics, my Harley Dealer shows the same part numbers for both the D and DX so you should be OK there.

Now if you are asking about reduced reach bars that will fit a B-model which reduces the reach further than the stock B/D bars and you want to mount them on your DX - that is a different question.

·
WTF?
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did want to go with the reduced reach B bars but was also thinking of going with the d bars like you are doing.
thanks fore the link, that will come in handy. Tell me about your fairing that looks awesome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reduced Bars help!

I also wanted to bring my bars back on my 07 DX. The stealer told me that the reduced reach B bars 56150-04 have been discontinued! So now what are my choices? the stock B or D bars? Please let me know, with part numbers if you know them. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
I have an 08 DX and am ordering a set of handlebars off of an AW. The part number for these bars is 56046-01. I would think they should be the same dimensions as the B bars. The service guy at the dealership was changing out a set of handlebars on a DX using Sportster bars part number 56113-98. The center section of the bars was black and he said you wouldn't have to change the cables to make them work. Just another option.

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
Yeah, I thought the reach bars were cancelled. The other option beside the B/D bars (P# above) would be the current VRSCAW bars which have even more pullback. ( 8 inch rise - 11 inch pullback). Your dealer would have to run the part numbers and compare throttle cable, brake and clutch hydraulic part numbers for the AW to see if they are different from your DX.

For more info on my bike, check the Bagger forum (late model Road Rod), or Sport Touring DX elsewhere in this forum

TAGRAT, the AW bars are different than the B (1-1/2 inch higher rise and 3 inch more pullback. I would suggest you go to your dealer and sit on an AW and see if the seating position is too upright for you.

After reading posts elswhere on this site which said new throttle cables were necessary, I went back to the dealer and he verified that while the D and DX throttle and idle cables carry a different part number, they both have identical housing lengths of 27.5 inches. The only difference is that where the dx cables come out of the grip assembly, they make a 90 degree bend. The D cables make about a 100 degree bend; giving the entire assembly a quarter inch greater length. You can easily add this additional 10 degree bend to the DX cables, if you even need to,-it depends on how you orient your bars before you clamp them down. There is nothing more than a thin metal sheath over the existing bowden cable (coil spring lined) so when you increase the radius of the bend, you will not damage the cable . Save yourself some $$ and stick with the stock DX cables.

8/30/07 I just added to a thread on the same subject within this forum called D bars on a DX. I went out and did a dry fit up with pictures. Check it out. The DX throttle cables fit. Check it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts