Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Part # Needed

644 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim J 
#1 ·
I've seen it posted here that they've replaced the aluminum bolt for the triple tree to a steel one, does anyone know the new part # for this. I'm having to take the bike in for the 3rd time to get the front end noise cured. I even fixed the fall-away by myself, and the noise is still there... The dealership has 1 last chance to get it right before the Lemon Law takes effect, then I get a new bike :D

Thanks in advance...

-Bill

#2 ·
There is no part number change, it just replaces the old one. If the moco is out of the aluminum they will get a steel one automatically when they order a new one. However if adjusting the fall away and bearings didn't make it go away for a while the odds are you have something else making noise.

Lemon law in New Mexico must be different then in Texas. First in Texas motorcycles are excluded but second you have to pay a prorate of so much a mile to lemon law anything. Usually even on cars Judges are pretty particular about lemon lawing things that are either common or rattles etc. In the end unless you really have a lemon IMHO lemon laws cost a lot more then they are worth to pursue. Now if I had a bad engine and they couldn't fix it or if it left me stuck all the time and they couldn't fix it then I can see it. But I'm sorry a clunk in the steering which seems to be a trait of the bike just doesn't hit me as a lemon.

#3 ·
Yeah, the law for New Mexico is different. It states that if you have a problem that is reported within the warrenty period, one that can be considered a safety issue. (the stearing head klunking, i.e. berrings not being seated properly) and you have the same problem 4 times, the vehicle is conisdered a lemon. no prorating, no payment, they either have to replace the vehicle or buy it back for the outstanding balance. And the good thing is, motorcycles are covered here :D Called dealership and told them about the steel part they're going to see about getting a warrenty replacement of it, which will include bearings and races. Thanks for the info Max. :thumb:

#5 ·
I just glanced at New Mexico lemon law and I spotted a clause that came back to bite a guy with a caprice classic one time over an ash tray rattle. It still looked as though you pay mileage and fair use fees for the vehicle but I'm no attorney. You might also want to edit out your post that you worked on it yourself. The MOCO especially the warranty department reads most all of these threads and you working on it yourself usually would be enough by itself to destroy any case you have.

A consumer who prevails in an action brought to enforce the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Quality Assurance Act [57-16A-1 to 57-16A-9 NMSA 1978] shall be entitled to receive reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs from the manufacturer. If a consumer does not prevail in such an action and brings that action for frivolous reasons or in bad faith, the manufacturer shall be entitled to receive reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs from the consumer.

#6 ·
? I posted that I adjusted the fallaway. I followed the instructions in the service manual. The bearings not seating can cause it to bind eventually when the races get scored or damaged, correct?

per the posts that describe how to permanently fix the clunk here, I haven't taken the front end apart and cleaned the excess paint or reseated the races, which I think is the problem.

But thanks for the heads up on that, The dealership is good folk to deal with, they usually get my stuff in and back out w/o much of a hassle. :) :dance:

#7 ·
I'm not wanting to get rid of the bike, I absolutely love it. That's why I traded my B in for it. I don't know. Maybe I should just take the front end apart, sand down the inside, and get some replacement bearrings for it. Although that would be the most work I've ever done on my bike...

On a side note, when I did adjust my fallaway, i noted that the hammer/screwdriver method to tighten the castle nut was a PITA. Is there a special tool that would allow me to get to that nut and tighten it w/o the hammer/screwdriver? Thanks for the help :D

#8 ·
Now for the Grand Finale!

I finally get fustrated with the Dealership here in Las Cruces, and take my bike to El Paso. As soon as I told them what bike I had, and where the problem was, they identified the Klunk. They tore into it and found that the bearings were indeed bad and that the races had already started to show 'shadowing' replaced them, buttoned it up, and now I'm back on the road! yay!

#10 ·
Max said:
Lemon law in New Mexico must be different then in Texas. First in Texas motorcycles are excluded but second you have to pay a prorate of so much a mile to lemon law anything.....
Hey Max, actually bikes do fall under TX Lemon Law.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/motor_vehicle/texas_lemon_law/default.htm

...and you're right, most if not all states have as part of their lemon law statute a mileage pro-rate clause.

Also, it's interesting to note that since 2004, there have only been FOUR lemon law complaints in TX on Harleys (2 in 2004, 2 in 2006 - a Buell and an FLHXI).

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/mvd/lemon2006.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.