Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another thread, my V Rod went over earlier today and the airbox cover has a "marker light sized" dent in it.

Anyone had any luck with paintless dent removal on the airbox cover or gas tank ???

They did an amazing job on my Chrysler after a hail storm, wondering if they can "pop" this dent out.

Thanks,

EE

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bbruce65 said:
Not sure it's that easy with aluminum. Is the dent in the cover creased?
No crease, just a nice (BIG) "dimple" the size of the turn signal housing !!!

It is NOT deep enough to see on the underside.

EE

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds like it could be done. Before handing it over, make sure that they are experienced in aluminum work (hopefully they are, a lot of newer hoods are made of aluminum to save weight). Aluminum is not as soft as steel and reacts to forming differently than steel.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I had mine almost out and the paint popped. aluminum stretches easy so I'm pretty sure the cover stretched a little. Same thing went over t/sig housing hit cover. I'm gonna relocate mine to the forks one of these days.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The problem might be that the liner is glued to the top and they might not be able to access the lower side to work the dent.

Max

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Z16monte said:
I had mine almost out and the paint popped. aluminum stretches easy so I'm pretty sure the cover stretched a little. Same thing went over t/sig housing hit cover. I'm gonna relocate mine to the forks one of these days.
Monte,

Did you take the dent out yourself ???

EE

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Max said:
The problem might be that the liner is glued to the top and they might not be able to access the lower side to work the dent.

Max
That's true Max. I had fist-sized dent in my cover (no I didn't thump it :D) and it didn't show on the other side at all. I took it to a recommended panel beater and he couldn't get anywhere near it. I believe the liner can be removed (I think you have to heat it but I'm not entirely sure) then reglued.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I drilled a series of hles through the inner panel to access the back of the dent and worked it with a 1.4"rod bent and smoothed. worked from the edges inward.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Z16monte said:
I drilled a series of hles through the inner panel to access the back of the dent and worked it with a 1.4"rod bent and smoothed. worked from the edges inward.

I thought about doing that but worried that I would go through the outer skin too. And I'm more likely to do something like that when I'm taking extra care not to.:D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The liner can be removed but it takes some doing to get it off and back on. It is glued with urethane as far as I can tell and applying heat will loosen it, then you must roll the bottom lip of the skin even after the glue is separated in order to get the liner out. Then getting the urethane to set and have the cover line up correct is another thing to deal with when your done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts