Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for a project to do, noticed the paint on the heat shields was really fading and didnt look that great, so I wanna give it a facelift.

So plan is to buy some high temp black paint.. Now Im not the greatest with paintn and priming etc.. Do I just score the paint with some sandpaper and then paint on top? Do I need to prime or just sand it good and hit it with a few coats?

Thanks guys

·
RIP Nigel & KAK
942 Posts
I sanded mine down completely when I did mine. But it's not worth it they will fade quickly. At first i just did a high temp gloss black and was a failure. So then I tried to use a higher temp flat black base then high temp gloss black over top. That lasted longer but they faded and flaked off. So I just got mine ceramic coated and called it a day and was 100 times better.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
I sanded mine down completely when I did mine. But it's not worth it they will fade quickly. At first i just did a high temp gloss black and was a failure. So then I tried to use a higher temp flat black base then high temp gloss black over top. That lasted longer but they faded and flaked off. So I just got mine ceramic coated and called it a day and was 100 times better.
:them: except i wrapped my pipes and threw most of the shields away. i cut one of them to cover the wrap clamp where it ended.

·
RIP Nigel & KAK
942 Posts
Oh yea and once you start taking the heat shields off you best use locktite on the screws for the lower shields and they are still gonna rattle out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After several tries of different methods I ended up putting a couple coats of flat black high temp (highest i found) on both the inside and outside of the heat shields, then put a couple coats of semigloss on the outside (lower high temp paint). It ended up lasting quite a while, it did flake some on the heatshield right at the curve coming out of the rear cylinder, not even very noticable. It was cheap to do, and made it look a heck of a lot better, did take some time to let dry between coats.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Guys
I used brake caliper satin black on my nrs, on a hot ride the curve on the back pipes dulls as does the small front shield. I just gave them a good sand and wipe bown with metho to remove dust and finger prints before painting and it doesnt peel or flake. Quick tidy up for bends is to wrap rags in behinf pipes and just give the occassional squirt of paint on the dull sections, saves removing them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No Paint

I use s100 engine brightener. It lasts for months, and your heat shield looks great even after riding in rain and washing. Need to hit it again about once every three months to keep them looking great.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
if you want to get it ceramic coated, i think i only paid about $50 to send mine off and get it done.

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
flat black engine paint using a fine sandpaper rub gentle over shields mask off wot you dont want painted and paint in situ, because wot ever you decided after some time it will come back lookin abit untidy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had to paint my shields too. Since my Tab slip ons had started to rust I wanted to paint the works so it would all match. Turned out great! After 2 years the paint is still the same and didn't peel or fade. I sanded a lot of the paint off with rough sand paper and progressively went to smooth grit (ended up using 800 grit at the end) Washed the pieces off real good with acetone and sprayed 3 coats of "VHT High Temperature Flameproof Header Paint". It took two cans at $15 a can.
I wore lint free gloves while handling the pieces to avoid touching the bare steel. Took two days to complete and I let the pieces set 3 days before I handled them to put back on the bike.
Well worth the effort!!

Product info: High temperature paint designed for use on header pipes
For temperatures up to 1300-2000°F (704-1093°C)
Will renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures
Provides a matte finish with a silicone ceramic coating
Flat black colour
312 g size

Attachments

·
boo
5,211 Posts
i dunno, all that time and effort, plus $30? when you can get it ceramic coated for $50? doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dunno, all that time and effort, plus $30? when you can get it ceramic coated for $50? doesn't seem worth it.
Ceramic coating for $50? Where? I got quoted 200

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the ceramic coating could of been done local for $50 it would be worth it. But I would have had to ship all the pieces, wait a couple weeks, pay out the yang, then HOPE it comes back perfect without shipping damage.

Plus I got to mess around in the garage, listen to tunes, drink beer, and fool with the bike while it snowed outside. Well worth the time/effort. IMO

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Yer will look good for a while but after a number of good rideouts your back to the same position as before, keep saving money paint in situ.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've painted my heat sheilds quite a few times for various reasons like scraping them a time or more I care to share but I've used a high temp barbque flat black paint after after a brief sanding and knocking off the obviouse scraps from road rash. It looks ok after but really cleans up after applying some pig spit to darken the finish, I also used to pig spit on the denimn paint after a wash. The bike looks brand new afterwards and doesnt break the pocket book. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts