Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about painting an anodized V-Rod, yellow, maybe yellow.
Can it be done without a lot of prep?

·
Billy
509 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
I was thinking about painting an anodized V-Rod, yellow, maybe yellow.
Can it be done without a lot of prep?
I asked about painting anodized in a post last week and the response was it just needed to be sanded like any other surface and painted.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
You guy's are killing me with the Avatars. :D

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Anodizing can be painted over and is a great surface prep prior to painting provided it is not sealed completely - which in our case it probable is since there is no other finish on it. The other problem is completely removing the wax and other surface contamination. Wipe it down real good with a solvent like MEK or Acetone and then lightly scuff sand it and it should work out okay.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
This thread sounds like a fishing trip to me. LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh man I read that and got super excited, was going to say "You don't have to paint, I'll trade you my brand new yellow skins!" and then I realized what was going on.

You guys suck! :angeldev:

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
snicker snicker....

You might be able to get some color matched bags to go with the new color on the skins.

Oh.. And my shiny avatar is cooler than yours!

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LiquidSilver said:
snicker snicker....

You might be able to get some color matched bags to go with the new color on the skins.

Oh.. And my shiny avatar is cooler than yours!
:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
This looks so good, I'm thinking about painting my engine guards.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Color coordination at its best.
] DSC00634.JPG copy copy copy.jpg

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
are you really thinking about painting yours or just trying to get lux fired up?

If your thinking about it, I wouldn't I would buy another set that has paint and paint it to your liking as the tins are not alum. any more and with people painting there ano tins I believe they will be the collectors item down the road

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why would I ever try to get lux fired up? He is such a nice fellow.

(Thank you for your guidance. I will file it for future reference in case I ever get anodized skins.)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Why would I ever try to get lux fired up? He is such a nice fellow.

(Thank you for your guidance. I will file it for future reference in case I ever get anodized skins.)
Oh The Humanity!!!! The Horribleness of doing that to the Perfect Anodized Skin? What The HELL did you do to my Bike? Oh this is WAR Baby WAR, You want a Piece Of Me!??!? Its ON! The worst part is you gave it thaqt Awful 2003 Annevirsary Badge. On My 2002!!!!!!!! That horrid Badge!!!!!

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Lil,
You better talk to Kelly, you are now number 1 on Lux's list. Kelly will probably thank you for taking him off of her back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've painted my anodized set after my accident .

you'll have to get it down to the bare aluminum and then use a special etching primer before you spray the paint.
I used oven cleaner to get the anodization off...worked great.

Cheers

Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts