Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was going to have my forward controls powder coated,but the paint i used on my heat shields worked really well and gives a finish almost idendical to the denim paint.so i gave it a go on the forwards and it looks really good.the paint is applied in lots of light coats.then put in the oven gradually raising the teperature to 280degrees centigrade then baked for 1 and 1/2 hours.gives very hard finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow. Nice.

I spoke to a powder coater friend of mine last night who I want to do my controls and steel screens below the airbox cover.

But, I'd love to do this.

Can you let us know what paint you used, how long between coats, conventional oven?

Thanks.

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Looks good, I would be concerned about durability although a little wear might add to the "look" of the bike. What brand of paint did you use?

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Very nice Jim. Were the controls easy to remove?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure how to copy one of my earlier posts on here,but if you go to my earlier post "painted heatshields" there is a pic of the can of paint i used.i used my normal household oven to bake the paint and used bits of wire to suspend the bits of the rack.i would say about 10 light coats but you only have to wait a few seconds between the coats,rub down the parts with some fine glass paper to give a surface for the paint to adhere to.also use an approprate sizes socket to drift out the plastic bush that is inside each of the controls they come out real easy.as i said this method seems to give a very durable finish but only time will tell i tried scratching the paint of after i had done it ,on a bit you cant see and couldn't budge it.taking the controls on and off only takes around 15 mins each.it would work really well on the louvred parts if you liik at the earlier post i mentioned you can see the effect on the perforated heat shield i made.thinking i might do my brake and clutch lever next.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmcc100 said:
Hey Jim,
What kind of pegmounts are those? Are those the reduced/extended reach from Harley?
no i had these made, cut the mount in half and welded in the bit you can see in the pic brings the pegs up and back 2 and1/2" but can as much or as little as you want will also work to extend the pegs for taller riders also cut the brake pedal in half and welded in 1and1/2" to make changing gear easier,and added bonus of this mod is the brake pedal now sits under the ball of my foot so dont have to lift my foot to brake.

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
jimlowe said:
no i had these made, cut the mount in half and welded in the bit you can see in the pic brings the pegs up and back 2 and1/2" but can as much or as little as you want will also work to extend the pegs for taller riders also cut the brake pedal in half and welded in 1and1/2" to make changing gear easier,and added bonus of this mod is the brake pedal now sits under the ball of my foot so dont have to lift my foot to brake.
Thanks! Max has some similar, but are extended instead. I need reduced because I am vertically challenged. Those are perfect. Any info where I can get some done like that (no welder, etc)?

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
mmcc100 said:
Thanks! Max has some similar, but are extended instead. I need reduced because I am vertically challenged. Those are perfect. Any info where I can get some done like that (no welder, etc)?
Harley sells them, the are reduced reach peg mounts. Some guys, like Max I assume, turn them around and use them for extension.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LIUNARep said:
Harley sells them, the are reduced reach peg mounts. Some guys, like Max I assume, turn them around and use them for extension.
the reduced pegs only give you 1/2" this is 2 and 1/2"

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EZE RIDER said:
It must add a nice flavor to your meatloaf. Looks great as always Jim.
yeh eze you need a understanding wife:angeldev:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mmcc100 said:
have a look in my gallery and you can get a better idea of what i did.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
diverse said:
looks good Jim, you going to paint your exhaust tips?
cheers mate, allready did just posted a pic on my gallery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very nice job!

Just out of curiosity, the brake pedal is gonna wear over time and re-expose the silver metal underneath...

What about dipping just the pedal part into some rubberized liquid... same stuff you dip wrench, screwdrive, hammer tools into for a better grip?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mark Ducati said:
Very nice job!

Just out of curiosity, the brake pedal is gonna wear over time and re-expose the silver metal underneath...

What about dipping just the pedal part into some rubberized liquid... same stuff you dip wrench, screwdrive, hammer tools into for a better grip?
thats quite a good idea mark,i was going to file the raised surface to give a contrast with the black but might try that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts