Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of Corbin Bags and I've been getting quotes on getting them painted and so far the quotes are a (low) of $685 and a high of $850. I'm only going with 1 color (Silver) to match the tins, so nothing particularly fancy. I don't have any experience with painters, but this seems kinda high. Anyone know if this sounds right or is this high?

Thanks
Shoe

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Shoe, those quotes are on the high side. IMHO.....I had a nine piece set shot base coat and clear coat for $400.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's more like what I was thinking

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Hey Shoe, the paint code is - PPG 902650 Sterling Silver. Here is the link to it's location - http://www.colorrite.com/

My custom painted tins are a very close match to the factory painted front radiator cover. Hard to tell the difference between the two when the painter knows how to achieve the correct level of matallic before clear coat. Good luck.

·
NXS STREET MACHINES
16 Posts
I just want to let you know that the materials will be around $200.00 to $250.00 dollars (primer, sealer, paint and sandpaper, and masking materials) and the labor ( bodywork to make straight, prep, paint, color sand and buff) will be about 4 to 8 hours at any where from $35.00 to $60.00 in labor depending on the quality of work that you want done. You just don't sand and paint, there is some prep work to be done to make sure it's straight. I hate these cut rate body shops that say yeah I can do it for cheap and then do a crap job! If you want a quality job that will match and last you will pay the higher rate. Hope this will help you in your decision. Nxster

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Ain't no Paint Job gunna match those skins.
Why not? I just had a painter repaint the rear fender on my 2003 Silver anniversary bike and he matched the paint perfectly. When I first took it in he said it was the same color that Ford uses on the Harley branded trucks and it appears like he was right. Perfect match.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Why not? I just had a painter repaint the rear fender on my 2003 Silver anniversary bike and he matched the paint perfectly. When I first took it in he said it was the same color that Ford uses on the Harley branded trucks and it appears like he was right. Perfect match.
You are correct, I thought He had a Real VRod I mean Anodized Bike.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I just want to let you know that the materials will be around $200.00 to $250.00 dollars (primer, sealer, paint and sandpaper, and masking materials) and the labor ( bodywork to make straight, prep, paint, color sand and buff) will be about 4 to 8 hours at any where from $35.00 to $60.00 in labor depending on the quality of work that you want done. You just don't sand and paint, there is some prep work to be done to make sure it's straight. I hate these cut rate body shops that say yeah I can do it for cheap and then do a crap job! If you want a quality job that will match and last you will pay the higher rate. Hope this will help you in your decision. Nxster
I beg to differ with you here. If they are in good shape then all the painter needs to do is use a scuff pad on them and then wax and grease remover to prep for the paint. The paint for two hard bags will be no more than 1 quart of paint and 1 pint of clear. Thats is a total of about 125.00 for materials. Then about 2 hours max to paint them at 50.00 an hour is only another 100.00 bucks. For a total of 225.00 with a profit of about another 50 or so this would be a good deal on the paint costs. If it is a standard shop you could see about 150 to 250 more than that just because they are busy and they charge more for paint jobs.
So with all that said, A good price would be about 300.00 and a high price would be around 450.00.
I have painted for 20 years and it is not that expensive to do. It is the shop that has high prices , so LOOK around at as many shops as possible for pricing.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct, I thought He had a Real VRod I mean Anodized Bike.
Lux, you know we don't have that paint stripping smog up here in norcal that you have to contend with in the southland, besides, the skunk anniversary model was very popular (and I didn't much care for the anodized skins).

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
From my experience with three different sets of Corbin beetle bags and a Corbin Fleetliner fairing their prepwork is minimal at best and a good painter will spend a few hours making them perfect, definitely not a scuff and shoot out of the box. For the price Corbin charges they should be though....oh well. I don't think the prices are that crazy but I'm in the Northeast where prices always seem to be high.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Reach out to John on the forum....forum name abi

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Ain't no Paint Job gunna match those skins.
Match the frame paint. :D

Shoe, if the guy is really good and timely those quotes might be in the pocket. You may save a few bucks elsewhere but in my experience a shop that's really good and gets parts back on time is worth their asking price. A painter had my fender for 4 months, when I dropped it off he said "pick it up next Wednesday"! LOL!
***Prep work is where the big difference in great paint come in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts