Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about the stripes on a Night Rod. Unfortunately for 2011 they only offer the black denim with the orange stripes. They used to offer the vivid black stripes for 08, but that was the last year I believe.

It may be just me, but I do not like the orange stripes. I would rather have them black or even a dark silver or gray.

How difficult (maybe expensive is the better word) would it be to change the color? Are they decals or is it actual paint?

Anyone done this and recommend a good place? So Cal is not that far from me and I drive there a lot anyway.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I didn't like the thick orange stripes either, so I had a painter out here paint the middle vivid black, then clear over everything so there are no transition lines. Now they look more like the stripes on the wheels.

Here is a link where you can kinda see them on the airbox, I guess I can't repost the pic in this thread and I don't have any others right now
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147065

Question about the stripes on a Night Rod. Unfortunately for 2011 they only offer the black denim with the orange stripes. They used to offer the vivid black stripes for 08, but that was the last year I believe.

It may be just me, but I do not like the orange stripes. I would rather have them black or even a dark silver or gray.

How difficult (maybe expensive is the better word) would it be to change the color? Are they decals or is it actual paint?

Anyone done this and recommend a good place? So Cal is not that far from me and I drive there a lot anyway.

Thanks for the help.

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, do you mind if I ask how much?

I like the way yours turned out btw. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
They made the denim with vivid stripes in 09 as well. Buy a new set of tins outright on ebay or sometimes members will look to trade on here as well. Typically cheaper than new paint. Oh, and they are paint.

·
Registered
34 Posts
shouldn't be too much to have someone re-paint the stripes. I take it the stripes are gloss vivid black and the normal semi gloss denim everywhere else? Is there a very noticeable edge?
Tim

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it the stripes are gloss vivid black and the normal semi gloss denim everywhere else? Is there a very noticeable edge?
Tim
Well the vivid black is where I would like to go with it, or even a silver or gray. The stock paint for the denim black for 2011 are the orange stripes. While I don't mind the HD orange on some applications I just don't like the look on the DX.

My biggest question really is about how much that would cost and would it be worth it?

DarkVader recommended looking at buying some new tins outright and I will look into that as well, but it seems a paint job shouldn't cost that much, but that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the reason i ask about the edge is cause of the different "gloss" finishes used. If you don't care about an edge, you can simply have a painter mask off the orange, re-shoot with black, and re-clear with gloss clear. You really cant color sand and buff it with it sitting next to the denim finish. If you want a seamless finish, it gets more complicated...Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts