Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who hates the horn digging into his leg? Did anyone do anything about this?

KARAF

·
Todd
482 Posts
:stupid: Yes, just follow those instructions. I did the same thing but had to file alittle because the tab on the frame is off alittle from the engine placement. Now it fits in tight and looks better too. :cheers:

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V-Man said:
Ahem. I SWEAR I did a search on horn before I posted. :whack: I just couldn't believe I was the first to have a problem.

I'll try these instructions. One question tho', is the horn low voltage? Do I need to unhook the battery before doing this job? Can I electrocute myself if I'm not careful?

KARAF

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
I reversed the horn as in the previous thread link and added 4-5 washers on the stud. I think it moved back about 3/4". Much better and an easy job. Dont worry about the wires. Just dont lick them at the same time.
Dont forget to add lock-tite to the nut on the backside.
Is everything on this bike held together with Lock-tite?

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Hey! cool. just saw this, and realized that was my post! Any comments on how to improve that idea could be added. I was going to try adding washers too, but on mine its already close to the engine. Karaf, I never experienced any sparking, but then again, I didnt have the key on ;) I don't think the horn gets power without the key being on, but Max might be more informed than I am.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent 90 minutes on this f*ing horn. After putting the horn back into the clamshell, I put in the first bolt. The second bolt won't go back in. I swear to MoCo, I can't get it back in. Argh!!!!!! :bash:

I'm letting it go until tomorrow... Darnit.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Horn Reinstall

KARAF said:
I just spent 90 minutes on this f*ing horn. After putting the horn back into the clamshell, I put in the first bolt. The second bolt won't go back in. I swear to MoCo, I can't get it back in. Argh!!!!!! :bash:

I'm letting it go until tomorrow... Darnit.
I had the same problem, keep moving the nut tab around and make sure the bolt is straight going in. I used a 1/4 rachet & socket and I finally got the bolt in straight and it grabbed the threads. I was swearing myself there for awhile. Nothing goes easy it seems.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mustanggt said:
I had the same problem, keep moving the nut tab around and make sure the bolt is straight going in.
I wish it were so simple. For some reason the horn arm butts up against the shell in such a way that it won't line up. I have to push on it to even come close, and no success yet. Worse comes to worse I'll take it in to a shop for help. Thanks for the input tho'.

KARAF

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I bailed on the stock bolt/nut-clip combo and just used a beefy bolt type screw/nut combo. :hmm: Tight fit, and seems to hold. What a pain. Although now I feel indoctrinated as a Harley owner. I was dreaming that the bike would fit back together like a charm. Sigh......................

I also used 2 thin washers to tighten the horn up even further against the engine. Appears to feel MUCH better, but a good long ride will be the real test.

Thanks again everyone, my left knee thanks you!

KARAF

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
there does seem to be some variation in the tolerances on some of the non-critical parts, doesnt there? Glad you got it done Karaf. My knee is much happier... hope yours is too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts