Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
So when was the last time Irish or Australians were on US soil to help protect us from the neighborhood bully?
Neither country would exist today if it weren't for proficient American shooters. A movie quote comes to mind as best way to say it.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way"
We rock up to every skirmish you guys create so don't think that blanket is 100% yours to hog.
So all you gun totin' dads army guys want help from yourself now cause that's who's getting blasted these days on your soil.Only help you'll get from us on that is a bit of sane advice but that would spoil the macho cowboy games wouldn't it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So when was the last time Irish or Australians were on US soil to help protect us from the neighborhood bully?
Neither country would exist today if it weren't for proficient American shooters.
Alright - I'll take that as a dig at me.

Nobody's having a crack at the US military here - it's about the wisdom/risks of letting a couple of hundred million guns into the hands of the population. Last count you had almost one gun per head of population. If all those guns were in the hands of sensible law abiding people, then hey - life's good. You can't control where the guns end up - so it is inevitable the bad guys, and a % of those who are psychologically unstable are going to get them.

Here in Ireland we're lucky - we never let the situation get out of control in the first place. Faced with the choice between arming everybody 'to keep the peace' or having tight gun controls, we took the latter route. Not a cowardly choice btw - despite your repeated assertions to the contrary - we've had more wars and a longer history of colonial oppression on our soil than you've ever had - and also a long history of guys volunteering to go and fight on the side of right round the world, including over there in your own War of Independence. As people, we don't shy down from a fight, nor follow the herd sheepishly.

In the US - you let the gun situation get out of control. From where you are now, it's going to be hard to disarm because you've allowed, in fact helped, your criminals to arm up so comprehensively. Taking the guns away from the good guys first aint going to work because of where you've let it get to.

So, should we in Ireland here arm everybody to the teeth to protect ourselves our own Government / protect ourselves from criminals ?
i.e let's put 3 million guns into the country to make it a safer place ..

Anybody who believes there's a logic in that is exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be let loose near moving machinery, much less a firearm.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
Alright - I'll take that as a dig at me.

Nobody's having a crack at the US military here - it's about the wisdom/risks of letting a couple of hundred million guns into the hands of the population. Last count you had almost one gun per head of population. If all those guns were in the hands of sensible law abiding people, then hey - life's good. You can't control where the guns end up - so it is inevitable the bad guys, and a % of those who are psychologically unstable are going to get them.

Here in Ireland we're lucky - we never let the situation get out of control in the first place. Faced with the choice between arming everybody 'to keep the peace' or having tight gun controls, we took the latter route. Not a cowardly choice btw - despite your repeated assertions to the contrary - we've had more wars and a longer history of colonial oppression on our soil than you've ever had - and also a long history of guys volunteering to go and fight on the side of right round the world, including over there in your own War of Independence. As people, we don't shy down from a fight, nor follow the herd sheepishly.

In the US - you let the gun situation get out of control. From where you are now, it's going to be hard to disarm because you've allowed, in fact helped, your criminals to arm up so comprehensively. Taking the guns away from the good guys first aint going to work because of where you've let it get to.

So, should we in Ireland here arm everybody to the teeth to protect ourselves our own Government / protect ourselves from criminals ?
i.e let's put 3 million guns into the country to make it a safer place ..

Anybody who believes there's a logic in that is exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be let loose near moving machinery, much less a firearm.
Once again you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You'd find fewer argumentative responses if less ignorance were spewed from your keyboard. In the US, there is a long and well documented history of criminals out arming citizens and law enforcement. Regardless, it has nothing to do with a well armed militia keeping a government in check in order to preserve freedom. BTW: You're welcome.

Signed: A guy who spent seven of ten military years on foreign soil keeping the wolves off the sheep.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
The consistant talk about guns in the hands of a law abiding person being to blame for providing inventory for criminals is an out and out ludicrous discussion.
No matter how many guns are removed there will still be murder, robbery, rape, suicide, etc.
The faults lie in man’s and women’s brains. If you want to kill kill you will. With gun or not. Man and woman are an angry
lot and tge removal of firearms will not help this.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Once again you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You'd find fewer argumentative responses if less ignorance were spewed from your keyboard. In the US, there is a long and well documented history of criminals out arming citizens and law enforcement. Regardless, it has nothing to do with a well armed militia keeping a government in check in order to preserve freedom. BTW: You're welcome.

Signed: A guy who spent seven of ten military years on foreign soil keeping the wolves off the sheep.
Alright MIA - since I'm obviously deeply ignorant on such matters, oblige me.

Setting aside any paranoia about whether our own democratically elected Govt here is likely to turn on us for the moment - let me throw some facts into the discussion just for the hell of it:

- Your domestic gun death rate in 2017 was 12 per 100,000 population. That's US citizens killing US citizens.

- Ours was 0.8 per 100,000 - and yeah, the decimal point is in the right place.

Please enlighten me with the benefit of your more informed insight on these matters:

Assuming that we are no more or less inclined to criminality / murderous acts of violence than the US as a whole - in what way exactly would releasing the shackles on gun sales in Ireland help make life safer for us here, without ending up with your barbarous levels of domestic gun murders ?

And Mike, if you can stick to logic this time instead of dropping into personal attacks and abuse, we might at least get some useful insight here.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Setting aside any paranoia about whether our own democratically elected Govt here is likely to turn on us for the moment - let me throw some facts into the discussion just for the hell of it:

- Your domestic gun death rate in 2017 was 12 per 100,000 population. That's US citizens killing US citizens.

Please enlighten me with the benefit of your more informed insight on these matters:

Assuming that we are no more or less inclined to criminality / murderous acts of violence than the US as a whole - in what way exactly would releasing the shackles on gun sales in Ireland help make life safer for us here, without ending up with your barbarous levels of domestic gun murders ?

And Mike, if you can stick to logic this time instead of dropping into personal attacks and abuse, we might at least get some useful insight here.
What's your knife death rate for comparison purposes?

While we're at it, what's your car bomb death rate comparison also?

·
Registered
737 Posts
What's your knife death rate for comparison purposes?

While we're at it, what's your car bomb death rate comparison also?
On the former, hard to say for sure as I can't find a decent breakdown for knife homicide rates in both countries, but in terms of overall homicides we're approximately at 1/10th of your rates per 100k population, so its not the case that we're using knives or anything else to kill each other at the rates you do with guns.

Car bomb fatalities ? dunno mate. The IRA ceasefire was declared over a quarter of. century ago in 1994 - when they also decommissioned most of their fire-arm stock. Taking the guns out of Northern Ireland was seen as a welcome move by all but the most hardened terrorist/criminal fraternities.

·
Registered
136 Posts
On the former, hard to say for sure as I can't find a decent breakdown for knife homicide rates in both countries, but in terms of overall homicides we're approximately at 1/10th of your rates per 100k population, so its not the case that we're using knives or anything else to kill each other at the rates you do with guns.

Car bomb fatalities ? dunno mate. The IRA ceasefire was declared over a quarter of. century ago in 1994 - when they also decommissioned most of their fire-arm stock. Taking the guns out of Northern Ireland was seen as a welcome move by all but the most hardened terrorist/criminal fraternities.
Potentially quick question because I'm unaware on it but what is the ethnicity breakdown in Ireland?

I think we have so many segments of groups that simply do not get along (in addition to gang bullshit) which sucks up a large portion of those violent crimes, certainly not all of them but a chunk.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ethnic backgrounds: White Irish: 82.2%, White Irish Traveller: 0.7%, Other White: 9.5% (total White: 92.4%), Asian: 2.1%, Black: 1.3%, Other: 1.5%, Not Stated: 2.6% (2016)

We're not diverse at all - racially mostly white as the driven snow. but with an underlying murderous tribal hatred that breaks out in the top 6 counties from time-to-time, a relic of our Colonial past

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
The consistant talk about guns in the hands of a law abiding person being to blame for providing inventory for criminals is an out and out ludicrous discussion.
No matter how many guns are removed there will still be murder, robbery, rape, suicide, etc.
The faults lie in man’s and women’s brains. If you want to kill kill you will. With gun or not. Man and woman are an angry
lot and tge removal of firearms will not help this.
Not the case here criminals don't get a gun license thus no gun only way is to break in and steal it out of your compulsory safe locker.
Slows them down less spur of the moment crimes,same for legal licensed owners that get depressed and decide to blow the heads off any one they can find to blame for their temporary depression.Less curious kids playing gun games like the dopey American murder tv shows that flood their brains day after day after day after day after day after day just like daddy watches ffs.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Learn the lessons or repeat the history. Survive or be Subservient.

This discussion is all B/S. Most of the gun deaths in the US are criminals with stolen illegal guns. So make guns illegal !? Then only illegal guns will kill people - if all the legal guns are handed over to a government you cannot trust. This is insanity. Two choices - Be a Pussy without a gun subservient to the whims of your government or all be armed to prevent that or any armed infiltrators from taking over your country. I can say one thing - I'd MUCH rather live in a country of armed citizens than a country of unarmed citizens ready to be overrun by their own government or their invaders. This is pretty petty knowledge to anyone with a whim of world historical knowledge - Some just have not been taught the lessons by their elders - They will learn, again. :blahblah::D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
This discussion is all B/S. Most of the gun deaths in the US are criminals with stolen illegal guns. So make guns illegal !? Then only illegal guns will kill people - if all the legal guns are handed over to a government you cannot trust. This is insanity. Two choices - Be a Pussy without a gun subservient to the whims of your government or all be armed to prevent that or any armed infiltrators from taking over your country. I can say one thing - I'd MUCH rather live in a country of armed citizens than a country of unarmed citizens ready to be overrun by their own government or their invaders. This is pretty petty knowledge to anyone with a whim of world historical knowledge - Some just have not been taught the lessons by their elders - They will learn, again. :blahblah::D
Why the hell do you think someone would want to take over America.The place is a cesspit of rampant crime and unchecked money worship wrapped up in a layer of drug addled Holywood bullshit.You couldn't give it away.You need to get out more, visit somewhere unspoilt where people are civil to each other and operate as a community not a freaking warzone.Your leaderless patch of freedom has hit rock bottom socially and morally and you don't like being told so.If a friend can't tell you who can?

·
Registered
737 Posts
From a slightly more conciliatory perspective perhaps.. :spank:

That sounds like you're under siege in your own country. If that's what it really feels like living there, then it mustn't be great at all.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Well, once you have learned what happened in Nazi Germany after WW1 and later how that little WW2 skirmish affected the rest of the planet and what happens in China or Venezuela today (or many other countries out there) you will want to be armed. You guys are lucky you live where you do all folks disarmed and in harmony. I feel totally safe in the U.S. even with folks packing all around me as one might just save my life from some radical idiot that takes out people with no resistance given in other countries. Funny there's 4500 folks walking 1500 miles thru Mexico right now to get in here - guess they don't know how bad it really is ! Please tell them, maybe they'll turn around. Oh, if they do make it we will take good care of them anyway - they won't get shot, this country is much better than most think.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
From a slightly more conciliatory perspective perhaps.. :spank:
Hmmph he started it.:deal:

Bet he's happy when they work for peanuts for him.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Hard Telling, Not Knowing -

Tassie if it wasn't for the U.S. you would be living in a GERMAN speaking Penal colony. Every man, woman and yes even child in the U.S. was required to build the war machinery that saved the world from the Nazi's. Just Barely. So eat a little Humble Pie. I'm not saying America is the end all answer for the best country on the planet but yea, it's pretty close. And we saved your A$$ at least once and we will do it again. The fact that the "gun free zone" known as Chicago is the most violent, deadly murderous city in the U.S. ( N.Y. is neck and neck ) might tell you something. Run by Liberals. Great Job ! NOT. Not to worry, we got your back, even as you tell us to our face "The place is a cesspit of rampant crime and unchecked money worship wrapped up in a layer of drug addled Holywood bullshit.You couldn't give it away.You need to get out more, visit somewhere unspoilt where people are civil to each other and operate as a community not a freaking warzone.Your leaderless patch of freedom has hit rock bottom socially and morally and you don't like being told so." Thanks, I got that ! You are a Savant ! SO - One day you'll grow up, learn to spell and really, truly realize where that problem comes from - I'll let you figure that out, in your own time, that's usually best for full permanent mental retention. Till then V RODS RULE !! :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Suppository of all wisdom award

What if I were aboriginal would I still have to thank you and would my comments have more meaning.What if we wanted to be saved by say China.History isn't black and white or is it.What if Willie G paid a German outfit to build him an engine.What if by some fluke US had it wrong on gun laws.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts

I have a low tolerance for peoples who live without freedom critiquing those of us who do what is necessary to maintain it. To be clear, I have absolutely no respect for your countries position on this, and no respect for those who feel the need to critique my country for how we live. So to be clear, I have no respect for you and therefore no reason to care about your ability to gain insight or be enlightened.

The MODS seem to be fine with allowing persons here to criticize the US and it's their playground so fine. Just be clear that this isn't a conversation we would be having if face to face. If that were the case, my position on people criticizing my country would be made considerably clearer.

Let's just leave it at you think we Americans are a bunch of uncivilized violent rednecks and many of us think you guys are a bunch of subservient cowards that we should never have saved.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Back to form Mike eh?

I asked you politely to back off with your customary bile and stick to some kind of reasoned debate, and you respond with a thinly veiled threat on how the discussion would go if we met face-to-face ? People disagree with you and then you get abusive, block them, and now issue veiled threats about how the conversation would go face-to-face ? Grow up ffs.

I actually have no lack of respect for the US, or many of the fine people there. I may have issues with aspects of your foreign policy, and as in my own country I think a lot of the domestic laws and policies are deeply flawed - but as we both live in democratic societies, I have learned that I'm not always right and respect other's right to their own opinion. Something which seems to have passed you by somewhere along the way, despite your claimed knowledge of world affairs and long experience of service in different cultures and parts of the big world out there.

Since the gloves are off then let me respond in kind and be equally clear:

It's people like you spewing that sort of uninformed bile that I have neither the time nor inclination to deal with, and have ZERO respect for. As for your own role in 'saving subservient cowards' - what a load of Horsesh*t. You've never saved me from anything - and my own families track records both in the two world-wars and our own civil conflicts don't need to be spelled out for the likes of you. But y'know what..you're really not worth arguing with.

As regards cowardice and dealing with all kinds of verbal and other aggression - trust me, I'm comfortable with that - well able to deal with your kind of discussions face to face, and your kind in general.

I'll leave it there too.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
Nice to see that everyone is done beating their chest at this point......

As far as me carrying while riding, I'd like to but it's impractical in southern New England, states are difficult to get reciprocal rights CT/RI/MA/VT/NH/ME/NY rules must be followed when on regional road trips, we're kind of trapped with too much liberal logic.

Our fellow colonists might not appreciate this perspective, but that is my two cents.

BTW, 11 parishioners of a Pittsburgh synagogue were gunned down by a lunatic, read-criminal, of which, pointed out above would not have been hindered by highly restrictive laws.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts