Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Muscle A4 HOG
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My bike threw a P1355 code so I replaced the rear coil but this has not fixed the problem and I still have the P1355 code. Can anyone help with suggestions as to how to troubleshoot from this point?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...My bike threw a P1355 code so I replaced the rear coil but this has not fixed the problem and I still have the P1355 code. Can anyone help with suggestions as to how to troubleshoot from this point?...
You should always clear the DTCs after reading them but you can tell if the code is "current" or "historic" by the behavior of the CEL (check engine light).

When you first turn on the ignition the oil pressure, security, and check engine lights all illuminate. After 4 seconds the security light and CEL go out (the oil pressure light goes out after the engine starts). After this 4 second initiation period the security and check engine LEDs may do one of the following three:
  1. If these remain off, there are no engine, security, or chassis DTCs.
  2. If these stay off for 4 seconds and then one or both illuminate again and then go off after 8 seconds, there is at least one historic DTC.
  3. If these stay off for 4 seconds and then one or both illuminate again and remains lit, there is at least one current DTC.
(The ABS LED will illuminate in a similar fashion to the security light and CEL to indicate ABS DTCs on bikes with ABS, however; its behavior is a little more complicated and some ABS DTCs will not clear until the bike has been operated above 16 km/h = 10 MPH).

·
Muscle A4 HOG
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did clear the codes after I replaced the coil but when I started the bike again it only fired on the fornt cylinder and the code came back. I also tried resetting and removing the power commander but the bike still only runs on the front cylinder and throws the P1355 code.

·
The Hawk
3,754 Posts
Did you make sure the spring inside the rubber tube that connects the coil with the spark plug is stretched out enough to make good contact on both ends? This has been an issue on occasion.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Yes I did clear the codes after I replaced the coil but when I started the bike again it only fired on the fornt cylinder and the code came back. I also tried resetting and removing the power commander but the bike still only runs on the front cylinder and throws the P1355 code.
The P1355 DTC means the voltage at the primary winding of the rear ignition coil is "out of range" high. This out of range voltage occurs when the ECM tries to fire the coil by grounding the Y/BE (yellow with blue stripe) wire that connects the coil "C" circuit to ECM pin #11. Four things can cause this:
  1. a short to voltage on the Y/BE wire
  2. a bad ECM
  3. a bad coil
  4. a bad piggyback device
Since you replaced the coil and removed the PC you only have two other sources of the problem.

·
Muscle A4 HOG
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. :notworth:

The rubber boot for the plug connection is new, when I bought the coil it all came as one assembly.

I'll check the continuity on the wires next.

·
Premium Member
11,204 Posts
swap the two coils to verify the condition of the new coil. If the symptom moves to the front cylinder its a bad coil.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The P1355 DTC is related to problems in the rear cylinder coil primary circuit. Bad spark plugs or other secondary circuit problems would have triggered one of the loss of combustion DTCs: P1353, P1356, P1357, or P1358.
I know but it was worth to check :bolt

·
Muscle A4 HOG
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The steeler swapped the ecm and the bike runs on two cylinders. Sadly a new ecm here in Scotland is £411 of our pounds. And that's before fitting and flashing to the right map for the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

My bike threw a P1355 code so I replaced the rear coil but this has not fixed the problem and I still have the P1355 code. Can anyone help with suggestions as to how to troubleshoot from this point?

Thanks,

Ian.
Hi,
Just wondering what was wrong with your bike in the end when it threw up the P1355 code.

Doc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts