Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a little history: I bought my '07 DX 3 months and 1200 miles ago and I'm loving it! :moped: We all know this isn't the fastest bike on the street, but for me, it is the perfect combination of a laid back bike night cruiser that with a twist of the throttle can come alive like no other H-D out there.

Moving on, I wanted my first post to actually contribute something back to the members of this site because you guys have educated me on so many things. :notworth: And I will preface this post by saying that my condition was probably a fluke, but this is just one more thing to look out for if you're having battery/electrical issues.

So now that that's out of the way, let's get to the contribution: Bike ran great for first 1100 miles....no problems, except for that dead spot at 3000rpm and the silent pipes (but we all know about those). Took the bike back to dealer for 1000 mile service....again no problems...they treated me well (as always)....and I was in and out in no time. 40 miles into my trip back home....check engine and battery light come on....10 more miles....gauges flicker....bike studders....bike dies! I quickly pull the clutch to find neutral and coast into the nearest parking lot. Called the wife for a jump....get her started....2 miles down the road....dead. Repeat this scenario FIVE times!! Apparently, it will take the jump, but not hold the charge very long at all....what is going on?!?! Anyway, got it home, checked the codes (P0562 Current Battery voltage low 4.28)....pulled the airbox only to notice that someone (I won't name names....but remember that I had just picked it up from the dealer) had left the metal clip of the rubber battery strap lying on the negative battery terminal! :spank: So I proceed to correct that (thanks to Ken, my new Amsoil rep!)....and put it on the tender to see if the battery would take a charge. 3 days later....battery showing full charge....2 blocks from the house....check engine and battery light back on. Now I'm pissed! Call the dealer (75 miles away) and he says to trailer her back up there and he'll check it out. I don't think so! Called local dealer (who was out of DX's at time of purchase), and they graciously agree to see me that day (big thanks to the service manager at Bryan H-D in Moore, OK). Come to find out, the ring terminal on the ground wire of my voltage regulator had snapped and was not making solid connection. There was no obvious damage to the terminal and the tech suggested vibration may have caused it. Of course, this was covered under warranty, so they fixed it and I was on my way.

So there you go......I hope my first post has helped someone out there. If not, then I'm just happy to be here and look forward to my first KC Rally!

Later.....

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
:vrodforu:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts