Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride today. On the way, watching where I was going I happened to notice a red indicator on my spedometer. When I got home I looked up what it meant - it was the engine diagnostic light. I checked the code and got P U1096.

Just what does it mean? Where is there an explanation of what the codes mean? I have the list of fault codes from here but they are rather criptic.

Mine says "Current losss of IM serial data - at TSSM..." Should I be looking for a loose connection, or what?

Completely stock 03 with about 2700 miles.

Thanks,
Tom

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
see if all your lights are working.
running,turn sinals,brake light.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
A U1096 is going to be either a wiring problem to the instrument panel or a failure of the instrument module itself. With the electronic service manual refer to test 4.33 for a tree chart breakdown of the circuits involved.

Max

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just another data point:

I just had a U1064 - ' Loss of TSM/TSSM serial data'. While turning left, I triggered the left turn signal. No signal but the check engine light came on. About 100 ft. after completing the turn, the check engine light went off. The left blinker seems to be working fine now.

I popped off the passenger seat, re-seated the TSSM module connector and checked the visible wiring under the seat. Everything looked ok. I'm leaving the fault in memory so that the dealer can make a note of it (I like to document everything in case there are future issues).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
A U1096 is going to be either a wiring problem to the instrument panel or a failure of the instrument module itself. With the electronic service manual refer to test 4.33 for a tree chart breakdown of the circuits involved.

Max
Max,

is there a place where there is an explanation of these dodes? How do you know what they mean? Is it just from experience? I would like to know a reference to where I could look up just what causes the particular codes.

Thanks (or, precisely a great many thanks for this website - I think we all know that you expend a great deal of time and energy here and we appreciate it very much)

Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
2003 VRSCA Electrical Diganostic Manual
P/N: 99499-03

I'm not sure if they have different books for different model years.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
hippo there are different books but the only difference between the 02 and the 03 was the IAT sensor, even the codes for them are the same.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Mine started throwing a U1096 today..... well, I noticed it today. There is nothing NOT working, that I can tell. Odd thing, though, I was sitting at a light the other day and I smelled a wire burning. There was construction near me, so I thought it might have been that. Now I am beginning to wonder... I ned to take it in for its 10K anyway, so I will have them look at it, then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts