Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a copy of the cable DIY directions for Beastwood's P-Dash program? When I search the site or google all I get is a link to an old webpage of his that no longer exists. I really want to try this Portable Dashboard thing, can anybody help me out?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the cable DIY directions for Beastwood's P-Dash program? When I search the site or google all I get is a link to an old webpage of his that no longer exists. I really want to try this Portable Dashboard thing, can anybody help me out?
From what I've read the OBDPro (the Bluetooth scan tool used for the PDash application) connects to the VRSC DATA LINK feed using a cable like the SERT/MasterTune software uses. You can buy this cable from TTS here: P/N 2000009 or you can make your own using this drawing I made as a guide.

Be sure to use shielded cable with the shield connected to pin #1 of the Deutsch connector (don't connect the shield on the D-sub connector side). I didn't show a shield in the drawing because I never had trouble with noise problems when collecting tuning data myself but the PDash developer had a post where he mentioned problems with noise when using a cable that wasn't shielded.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Better than I also lol
Link in first post worked for me.
I had it on my previous phone never got a blue tooth for it. Time to try again :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually bought the screaming eagle cable and a obdii connection. I already have a elm 327 adapter on my car as well. Thanks for motivating me siege44 to finally begin this project.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I just download the software and install it on my Nexus 7 tablet (non-rooted).

Looks promising. Lots of information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soo... 5 years later and I can't find the Pdash anywhere. Anyone know where it can be found? Is it even working with newer versions of androids?

·
F2NV
1,739 Posts
Raoul, I'm pretty sure pdash faded.

I have been using rpmitup for quite a while qith excellent results. It doesn't have the gauges or deep information but works really well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I just made the cable that is being referred to earler. I'm still at office so haven't tested it yet but i just noticed that the connector should be an Deutsch DT04-4S, I just noticed that I used an DT06-4S, and I can't find any information on the size differences. Would you happen to know? Posting a pic as reference maybe that's enough info to know whether it would work

EDIT: it fits
IMG_20200428_171146.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
So another struggle I'm having. I made the cable according to beastwoods schematic. But he's referring to a 9 pin OBD, the one I have at home is a 16 pin. Anyone knows which cable going to which pin? I found schematics of 16 pin connectors but the connectors are not named the same as beastwood is naming them. Attaching examples.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I know, that's what I use for my cars. Question is if I can use it for my bike as well or if i really need a 9 pin to get readouts working

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the below instruction but didn't get it to work, didn't even got power to the OBD (bike in ignition mode but engine not turned on)

Not necessarily but based on discussions concerning the PDash, beastwood had only certified use of the OBDPro Bluetooth interface for use with PDash. If you intend to use some other OBDII interface other than the OBDPro it'll be up to you to see if it can read the VRSC data stream.

The VRSC data stream is similar to one of the OBDII protocols (it's SAE J1850 VPW) but it doesn't really conform since motorcycles don't have to and the DATA LINK was designed to work with Harley technical diagnostic equipment.

It's no guaranty that it'll work (you really should be using the OBDPro Bluetooth interface) but if your OBDII Elm 327 is compatible with the SAE J1850 VPW protocol, the 16 pin connector should have the following pinouts:
pin #2: Bus+​
pin #4: ground​
pin #16: battery (12V)​
This would mean that:
pin #2 of the OBDII 16 pin connector should connect to DATA LINK connector pin #3​
pin #4 of the OBDII 16 pin connector should connect to DATA LINK connector pin #2​
pin #16 of the OBDII 16 pin connector should connect to DATA LINK connector pin #4​
The flash pin (pin #1 of the DATA LINK connector) is not used.

This appears to match what you were posting in your previous post (post #24) but the Elm 327 may still not be compatible with the DATA LINK signal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts