Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RTFM
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So the 'quick and dirty' is that after replacing a couple batteries due to winter weather ineptitude, I finally found a clue and managed to identify the issues as a dead/defective rectifier, and replaced it. Now running with a brand sparkly new battery AND rectifier my universe was fantastic for about 61 days (assumption based on when the warranty runs out on the rectifier i bought).

Battery sits at:
13.6v not running.
15.2v at idle
17.8v at 2500rpm.

I have to assume when i punch the throttle that i'm pushing a little more, so guess who gets an over-voltage code(s), thats right, this guy. (P0563, b0563, b1006, b1007)

What started this was interestingly enough, very rough low 'idle' throttle, she sounds like she's choking on something and won't drop below 2k rpm, and coming down into the 3k range is when the choking starts. I would prefer to NOT get bucked off my bike, sooooo, if i pull over power off and back on she idles normally.

So lets get around to the question(s) now that story time is done;
1. What if anything is being damaged with the over-voltage (i'm assuming the battery first off)?
2. With all points touched like grounds, wires and connections (battery and rectifier) in an apparent properly connected state am i overlooking something?
3. I have yet to find reports of a rectifier spiking like this, rather the opposite, no?
4. Other than running screaming down the street and sobbing in a ball of sad under a tree, what's the cleanest testing resolution path here?

Parts:
 

·
The Hawk
Joined
·
3,916 Posts
It might be your volt meter. A battery will normally show 12.6 to 12.8 volts when charged and the system not running. It looks like all your readings are a volt it so high.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
 

·
RTFM
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Elgavilan, however my multimeter is calibrated, and for the sake of paranoia i used another in my shop with similar results.

As its stands my readings were taken AFTER a ride, so i suspected an overcharge of the battery, to that end i (yesterday) checked by battery and its sits at a happy 12.8v with its main fuse pulled. The fuse pulled because i pulled off the voltage regulator and sent it in for RMA, as it turns out it was quire defective, as a solid-state/sealed unit i'm not sure what was broken but i received a replacement within 30 hrs of being notified.

I'll put it on the bike later today and give it a go, as the other one failed after 5-7 hrs of riding i guess i need a nice road trip to work it in.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top