Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Interesting - especially the fatalities per 100 million miles. Almost 40 times more for bikes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are the statistics for alcohol and invalid licenses specific to bikes? It looks as though it's for all motor vehicles. If that's the case, I find it a bit troublesome that they would put that statistic on there. Almost saying it's a motorcycle problem, when the text only states "motor related" for the booze part, and doesn't specify for the invalid licence....oh well. We're the bad guys.

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
Interesting - especially the fatalities per 100 million miles. Almost 40 times more for bikes.
Remember these stats are loaded with the sport bike crowd and the crazy stunt guys, both of whom drive recklessly (in general), and can inflate these numbers. Not to say all is well if you drive safer but the statistics for young riders with 180 HP and no brains have biased these numbers.

·
Partlino
72 Posts
The problem with statistics like these is that they are vague and are open to interpretation. For instance, the size of the engine. Just looking at the stats, you might conclude that the 1000-1500cc range is the most dangerous, but you have to ask how many motorcycles of that displacement are on the road compared to other sizes. If there are more bikes in that size range on the road (and I have to believe that there are), then you would statistcally have more accidents with those bikes.

Also, the geographical map showing California having the most crashes is confusing, as they mention that it also has the greatest population. Shouldn't the stat therefore be based as a percentage of crashes compared to the number of riders in the area instead of just a total? Also, California allows lane-splitting. I'm sure the riders in California would disagree with me, but when I was there last year for vacation, I was nervous watching these guys flying up between lanes of cars. I have to believe this practice leasds to accidents.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
No doubt, we are at higher risk, but I would take that chart with a grain of salt. It doesn't appear very professional and is misleading.

Helmets they refer to as "brain buckets.
Alcohol they refer to as "Booze"
Fatalities by Engine Size (Bottom Left): 255 bar is taller than 310 bar ?!?
"MA riders wear helmets more often...": Yes....it is state law

Some seems very obvious and are telling us what we know.
"Experience, driver's record, and bike's maker are taken into consideration (insurance)"

·
Autobanmod
9,958 Posts
Indeed, traffic has become a kind of moloch that divores a sum of victims year in, year out, as it can only be measured by standards of war. These casualties occur in a morally neutral zone; the way they are being perceived by the public is of statistical nature.
– Ernst Jünger: „The worker'“, § 30, 1932

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.