Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you that have changed pullies and the flange- just how tight is that flange nut?
I'm putting some serious pressure on it and haven't felt a budge yet. Assuming it needs to be tight but I'm close to jello arms with a long breaker bar.
Thought I'd better ask before I get my gorilla out to get on it...

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Drive sprocket flange nut 160nm = 118 ft-lbs
Drive sprocket flange seal retainer fasteners 23nm = 17 ft-lbs
Drive sprocket locking bolts 88-102nm = 65-75 ft-lbs

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It feels tighter than 118 ft. #s

I have a big breaker bar and some serious force on it. I just want to make sure there's not one of those "oh and don't forget to...." things to do other than just get after it.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mine took 2 people.1 to hold the bike and push on rear brake,1 to break nut loose.It was PITA.Just remeber when you get ready to pull the flange,remove rubber o-ring 1st,it will be destoyed if you don't.Don't ask how I know.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a new o-ring.

Have a bolt and nut on the flange with a wrench braced up against the swingarm bolt to hold it in place. Figure the old flange may break so maybe I'll bolt the pulley back on to give it some more strength.

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
It has locktite on it from the factory, so a little heat will help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Ingersol Rand 231 half inch impact gun w 140lbs of air pressure and it will twist right off. ...
If you're not joking about this, I take it that your experience using this removal technique means that the Service Manual CAUTION can be ignored.

I'm not arguing with you, since I agree that an impact gun would be much easier but didn't want to risk damaging an expensive part. If you say it works fine I'll consider this in the future.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've had mine off and on several times like this.When I put it back on for the final time I installed a new nut.This was 13k miles ago and nothing has happened.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I admit, I used my impact gun on it to get mine off. I made sure it was in neutral, and I used the back brake to hold the mechanism in place. However, I used a torque wrench to put it back on.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little heat made all the difference- definately had some thread lock on it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Did it have the yellow lock-tight?
Mine has it all over the place,I've not seen yellow untill this bike.It's very brittle,doesn't seem to do much at all.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
JSC said:
I have a new o-ring.

Have a bolt and nut on the flange with a wrench braced up against the swingarm bolt to hold it in place. Figure the old flange may break so maybe I'll bolt the pulley back on to give it some more strength.
Becareful with that new o-ring. Take caution to make sure it does not get pinched or rolled which can easily happen. If it does you will know by the large trail of oil it leaves.:D

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Did it have the yellow lock-tight?
Mine has it all over the place,I've not seen yellow untill this bike.It's very brittle,doesn't seem to do much at all.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Yea- it was yellowish white gummy stuff but, I assumed after heating it made it gummy. Sure had plenty on it to clean up.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
vrodcustoms said:
Becareful with that new o-ring. Take caution to make sure it does not get pinched or rolled which can easily happen. If it does you will know by the large trail of oil it leaves.:D
You guys have got to get a little faster with the info!
I think I did it ok but, of course now you have me paranoid!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts