Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of years ago, Trask offered an outboard bearing support for the V-rod. This appears to no longer be the case and out of production. Additionally I cannot find one through E-bay or a general Google search but I’ve a few inquiries out to try and locate one.

That being said my question is a more general one. For a high horse power V-rods, I’ve heard the output shaft is subjected to flexing under high loads, especially under drag racing conditions. The outboard bearing support works to correct this as another anchor point, anchoring the output shaft to the case, to distribute load and prevent flexing.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend a solution in the absence of the outboard bearing support?

To accommodate my build I’ve a fully build transmission, not just a back cut 2nd gear but all the gear back cut, hardened, and supposedly rated for 300hp. For the clutch I’ve a lock up clutch from AIM as well as a billet clutch basket.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
A number of years ago, Trask offered an outboard bearing support for the V-rod. This appears to no longer be the case and out of production. Additionally I cannot find one through E-bay or a general Google search but I’ve a few inquiries out to try and locate one.

That being said my question is a more general one. For a high horse power V-rods, I’ve heard the output shaft is subjected to flexing under high loads, especially under drag racing conditions. The outboard bearing support works to correct this as another anchor point, anchoring the output shaft to the case, to distribute load and prevent flexing.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend a solution in the absence of the outboard bearing support?

To accommodate my build I’ve a fully build transmission, not just a back cut 2nd gear but all the gear back cut, hardened, and supposedly rated for 300hp. For the clutch I’ve a lock up clutch from AIM as well as a billet clutch basket.
Contact Steve Taylor at Taylormadewheels

http://www.taylormade-wheels.co.uk/index.php

He does a really well designed bearing support as well as a lot of other really cool V Rod stuff. Very nice guy to deal with too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the line, ill contact him to see what he can do, but in general i'm wondering if this is a non-issue.

There a plenty of high horsepower, boosted and N/A V-rods out there, and I've not heard anything about needing additional support on the output shaft, or an output shaft failing.

what im really after is to confirm or refute the validity of transmission flexing in high horsepower applications before i commit to fixing it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks for the line, ill contact him to see what he can do, but in general i'm wondering if this is a non-issue.

There a plenty of high horsepower, boosted and N/A V-rods out there, and I've not heard anything about needing additional support on the output shaft, or an output shaft failing.

what im really after is to confirm or refute the validity of transmission flexing in high horsepower applications before i commit to fixing it.
He's the guy to ask. Not much he doesn't know about modding V Rods and V Maxs.

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
You could also try the one from D&G Chassis (dgchassis.net). I too looked into this just a few months ago and also emailed Trask. Don't know why they don't want to make them anymore? There is a CNC shop just a few buildings down from them that could run small numbers of them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also try the one from D&G Chassis (dgchassis.net). I too looked into this just a few months ago and also emailed Trask. Don't know why they don't want to make them anymore? There is a CNC shop just a few buildings down from them that could run small numbers of them.
...Opportunity for a group buy? Either Trask, D&G, or Taylor Made whoever will return the phone call?

I tired contacting Ruthless Performance Motorsport as i know they had a few as of a few months ago (no luck) and the owner mentioned that I'm the third individual to request the outboard bearing support.

Sounds like there's at least a few individuals interested.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got ahold of a Trask sales employee who stated that 20 units would need to confirmed to make the group buy worth while. Still have a group buy inquiry with Taylor-Made who is quite quick to respond. In the mean time I set up a thread in the group buy section to gauge interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts