Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out of gas for the first time today. Before I would start looking for a station at 100 miles. Guess my mpg has changed since my dyno tune. Ran out at 95 miles. Luckily I was only about 500 yards from my house. :) Lesson learned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
How much fuel did you take on when you'd fill up at 100?

BTW- Cool avatar. Jager is my weakness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Never a good idea to let a tank run dry....good thing you were close to home
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Glad you made it home safe, as JDR states it is not a good idea to let a tank run dry. Fuel pumps we replace in cars show a very high percentage of cars that traditionally are run low or come in almost empty. The fuel also works like a coolant for the pump, it really needs to be in fuel and on a car I suggest not running them below a quarter tank all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. As you can imagine, i don't get close to empty anymore. Supprisingly it's not as much fun pushing the bike as it is riding it. Although I have to say, it still gets plenty of looks.

Not sure how much gas I usually put in it. For some reason I never really paid attention before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Did'nt your low fuel light come on? I have never had any pitty for guys walking down the highway carrying gas cans. I usually smile and wave. Seems cruel, but how stupid can you be with a gas gauge staring you in the face?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hd-v-rodder said:
Did'nt your low fuel light come on? I have never had any pitty for guys walking down the highway carrying gas cans. I usually smile and wave. Seems cruel, but how stupid can you be with a gas gauge staring you in the face?
You're absolutly right. V-Rods are known for their accurate fuel gauge and most members here use that to determine when to fuel up and not the trip meter. How could I have been so stupid.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
I think it is a matter of record that the fuel gauge on the v-rod may be less then perfect. Lets not get in a pissing match over this please.
 

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Max you are so right, except that most that I have had to change in the tank are right after a fill up. Why cause it ran empty a few times. Now guys and girls do not get in a huff if you run below 1/4 tank. The pumps are made to do that. They are not made to run dry and never have more that a few bucks in the tank.

The most I have put in is 4.7 gallons. The best milage I ever had was 49.9. Ride with a group of airheads and that guage seems broken.
 

·
Slave to my DX
Joined
·
75 Posts
Nas3car said:
The most I have put in is 4.7 gallons. The best milage I ever had was 49.9. Ride with a group of airheads and that guage seems broken.
wow that great gas mileage, what mods are you running? any particular map if even so?
 

·
Retired!
Joined
·
583 Posts
I don't know what kind of setup you guys are running that you can only go 100 miles or less, I can go 130+ and still only put in 3 gallons. And that is a combo of city and running 75 - 80 mph on the interstate.
 

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
estets said:
wow that great gas mileage, what mods are you running? any particular map if even so?
Its factory stock. Yea I do hit the bump sometimes.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
badluck1 said:
I don't know what kind of setup you guys are running that you can only go 100 miles or less, I can go 130+ and still only put in 3 gallons. And that is a combo of city and running 75 - 80 mph on the interstate.
Weight of your right wrist, type of fuel mix in your area and roads you ride all play a factor in mileage. I have gotten as high as 125 miles on a stock 3.7 gallon tank and held just over 3 gallons and I have put in 3 gallons with 65 miles on the bike. So many things to figure in, if you have ethanol in your area you can almost cut 10% of your mileage for it alone.
 

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
Joined
·
163 Posts
Got some riding in this weekend and was able to check mine in some different situations.

Back road twisties taking my time cruising by myself 40-60mph = 43.5mpg (well over 100 miles per tank)

Interstate cruising at 80 with lots of bumps up toward 100+ for fun = 34.5mpg.
 

·
Paintless Rider
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
With my screwed up fuel gauge I would never get out of the gas station if I filled it up when the low fuel light came on. Maybe some day I'll fix it, but for now the trip meter works much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Teufel-hunden said:
Ran out of gas for the first time today. Before I would start looking for a station at 100 miles. ... Ran out at 95 miles. ...
Same thing happened to me earlier this year while on the interstate! :eek: I was a couple of miles from my intended exit.

Fortunately, I was able to coast and maneuver thru traffic from my lane (to the right of the fast lane) thru two more lanes to the right shoulder.

And more good news, I had just passed an exit with a gas station; bad news, I decided to PUSH it UP the ramp. :slap: Lesson learned -- WALK UP the ramp and buy a gas container.
 

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
Joined
·
496 Posts
I'm sure some people are not going to believe this, but I get regularly 49-50 mpg. I've ridden 152 miles before on my tank, and filled it with 3.4 gallons. I'm riding a stock '02.
One thing that could also play a part is the altitude. It might be minor for us, but that's why airplanes have a mixture knob.
 

·
Retired!
Joined
·
583 Posts
Max said:
Weight of your right wrist, type of fuel mix in your area and roads you ride all play a factor in mileage. I have gotten as high as 125 miles on a stock 3.7 gallon tank and held just over 3 gallons and I have put in 3 gallons with 65 miles on the bike. So many things to figure in, if you have ethanol in your area you can almost cut 10% of your mileage for it alone.
Yeah, I have to say my wrist is pretty light. I'm mostly a cruiser. I didn't know the ethanol made that much of a difference.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
Only a dipshit would run out of gas...like I did in the middle of Nowhere, IL on the way to the rally. I now know that you get EXACTLY 108 miles on a tank if you average 90-95MPH. :slap:
I've run out @116 before once too. 3.7 my :moon: I only got 3.3 in it when I pushed it into the gas station.
My right wrist weighs about 100# though. :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top