Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my new stock clutch today from Hales HD for $221.54 inc. gasket. From all of the info I have found that seems to be a good price. I am going with the stock oem clutch and red springs after much research. Hales also gave m some great discounts on a new style coolant bottle, braided coolant hose, and other parts. I have had good dealings with them. Not to mention the shipping was 10 bucks less than local tax. Now who's coming over to put it in for me ha, ha,. I'm so happy, there really is a Santa Claus :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Steve
626 Posts
From what we've read I believe you're making the right choice. If I was close I'd come help you out. haha That's a pretty small price to pay if it keeps you from slippin. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I heard the red springs make the clutch harder to pull. If you get the red springs and the AIM plate does that make it easier to pull the clutch in? :popcorn

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
AIM with the HD clutch and 100 lb spring will make the pull easier.

You should be able to find neutral easier too. :deal:

·
Steve
626 Posts
Dang, so price just went up a little. haha Then again, I could re-use my original clutch like Cheatin did and just change the springs and do the AIM and I'll be just a little higher. Hmmm.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
PHATVROD said:
Dang, so price just went up a little. haha Then again, I could re-use my original clutch like Cheatin did and just change the springs and do the AIM and I'll be just a little higher. Hmmm.
As long as it's not burnt up you should be fine. I also checked for warpage in the steel plates with a piece of thick, flat glass and feeler gauge. Also note, I did mine without the alignment tool, meaning you have to tighten the five bolts down after you put the basket back on the engine. Next time I'll have that tool so I can build it on the bench and tighten the clutch pack and slap it back on the engine.

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheatin said:
As long as it's not burnt up you should be fine. I also checked for warpage in the steel plates with a piece of thick, flat glass and feeler gauge. Also note, I did mine without the alignment tool, meaning you have to tighten the five bolts down after you put the basket back on the engine. Next time I'll have that tool so I can build it on the bench and tighten the clutch pack and slap it back on the engine.
How much is the alignment tool and maybe a part #. Thanks

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Billy, When ya wanna get together? Your welcome to bring it over here. I have the clutch alignment tool. You don't really need it.
I just finished putting my transmission in. Should have it running by Fri. night. What ever you decide. Hit me up. Hell we can get some more Cape Fear Vroders over and have a party if we need ta!

·
Registered
494 Posts
"I have the clutch alignment tool. You don't really need it."

Without the alignment tool, what is the best way/sequence to reinstall the unit?

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Billy, When ya wanna get together? Your welcome to bring it over here. I have the clutch alignment tool. You don't really need it.
I just finished putting my transmission in. Should have it running by Fri. night. What ever you decide. Hit me up. Hell we can get some more Cape Fear Vroders over and have a party if we need ta!
True, you don't really need it, but it would of been cool to tighten all five bolts down for the clutch pack before you slap it up on the output shaft. Otherwise, leave them loose, put assembled clutch on engine and tighten the five bolts down to spec.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Come on over cheatin. Billy brings beer, I watch you wrench. Yaaaaaaaaaa!
That's right!! I need about 6 shots of Hornitos before I get started though! :angeldev:

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheatin said:
That's right!! I need about 6 shots of Hornitos before I get started though! :angeldev:
I prefer the three generaciones white or gold. Lets do it, Oh, I gues you'll need a few days to get here. We'll let you know when to head out. Thanks for all the info.

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
smokenjoe01 said:
Absolutely, I'll get back to you, right now I am having back troubles so it will be a few days but we will get together. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts