Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - very newbie here - first Harley, mostly Ducati and BMW before.

Ordered the following spec

2011 VROD Muscle in Shiny Black

Black V&H Pro Exhaust
HD tuner and map to suit exhaust
K&N High flow air filter
440 progressive 13"
Progressive front springs
Diamond black pegs and pillion pegs
Diamond black grips
Black rear brake
Black gear lever
Black brake and clutch lever
Side mounted number plate in black
HID headlights
Pillion seat back rest

Simple questions
- is it worth getting the stage 2 cams done at this stage or should I run the bike in with the standard cams and get them changed at the first service?
- Do you need the 58TB's to make torque or do you just gain power and lose torque lower in the rev range? I have a BMW k1300R which makes 100lb/ft and 174bhp (flywheel) - not hung up on the power but would be happy closer to the same torque figures.

Dumb question - am I missing anything spec wise that is a no brainer.

thnx

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And thats Reading in the UK, England, a long swim away - not your Reading, wherever that is!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With or without the TB conversion?
I only ask a I have experience of more air and fuel without headwork leading to a strong top end and a reduction in torque low down.
I'd sacrifice a bit of top end for more low down

thnx for the quick response

Mike

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Welcome to the UK Section MikeT

So how about a supercharger?
I think a company advertises on e-bay, 160BHP for £3,500.
Now that will smoke the back tyre.
Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supercharged quite a few but it's not remotely pretty on the bike and with standard (HC) pistons boost is required low and heat generation is high so chargecooler required for power which is more plumbing!!
I was just trying tokeep NA for now.

nice thought though

Mike

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I suspect I'll get shouted down, but it is never going to be a space rocket, and if you ask the dealer to change the cams you'll probably get involved in some long convoluted cockup. It is unlikely to need larger throttle bodies unless you do quite a lot more, IMHO.

I think you have the mods you need, now ride it...

If you get bonkers later, Horsepower, AKA the well known TTS of Silverstone, can supercharge it.

Oh, and if it comes on Dunlops, use them up quick and get something decent. I have Metzs, they are fine, Avons are supposed to be very good too, Pirelli now do something, and Harley themselves have started fitting Michelin. Cynicism leads me to think that Harley branded Michs will be rock hard, cheaply made and sold at a huge markup though.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the straight and wise answer! Not looking for loads more - just a bit more low down I guess. I'll get the stage one done and ride it in the sunshine and probably won't even care!:moped:

And most importantly thanks for such a stunning photo album - now planning a Portuguese retirement and its all your fault!

I'm guessing eating fish off the boats on the harbour wall is a real bummer!

Keep hosing the dog:)

Mike

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Whats involved with the conversion to 26T?
Short gearing that will drive you nuts at Europe's higher cruising speeds :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
welcome Mike !

our Euro bikes comes with a 30t front where as the US models come with a 28t , so the jump from 30t to 26t is big ! i nearly went this route but it involved shorther belt (us bikes can get away with same belt as they use 28t to start with)

US owners that have gone 28t to 26t say it pulls of the line ballistic ! and there are lots of reviews on here with many happy 26t owners , but Louis is right it will rev high at 80-90mph.

Fitzgerald motorsport run group buys on here for the 26t (check out group buys)

stage 2 cams are a rare mod but a few have them on here , but are part of other upgrades but again love em

your bike sounds like a great buy coming with all the kit it has , but takes all the fun out of the challange of picking paying and fitting !

i would ride it a while and keep looking at threads on here before dumping money , as there are many products and options

guy on here had TTS supercharger and it would pull second gear wheelie's !

enjoy and let us know how you get on with your bike ?

BTW Ace cafe hrley day is end of this month and a few of us V-rod owners go !

·
Registered
20 Posts
If its low end grunt your after you cant go wrong with gearing it down, Its easier route than tearing into the motor. Also the highway speeds(RPM'S) may get a lil annoying but after watching that R&D vid where they held this motor at 9K for like 48hrs or whatever it was, I doubt it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your comments - I'll leave it initially and see how I get on - I have a few other bikes so motorway use will be infrequent.
What date is the Ace Cafe meet?

Mike

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Thanks for all your comments - I'll leave it initially and see how I get on - I have a few other bikes so motorway use will be infrequent.
What date is the Ace Cafe meet?

Mike
Sunday 29th - see thread in UK section.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts